Activity light always blinking

Guest rad_thundercat

Guest rad_thundercat

Like the subject says.  I have Comcast cable through a Motorola SB5100 modem and Linksys RT31P2 router.

When the modem is connected straight to my computer, the activity lights blink only when there is activity.  When connected through the router however, the lights blink like crazy all day.  When the router was hooked up through my DSL connection, it behaved normally (only blinked on activity).

Why is it doing this? 

thanks

From the Comcast help site:

Why do some of the lights on my cable modem blink even when my PC is idle or turned off?

Many cable modems have an LED labeled Cable or Data. Often, this LED flashes or blinks even when your PC is idle or turned off. Legitimate network data (most often DHCP and ARP traffic) is generated by Comcast, causing this behavior. This traffic should not be cause for worry, and should not affect your bandwidth.

Guest rad_thundercat

ok, sounds good.

I searched google some, but it never pointed me to the comcast faq.  thanks for the help.

yes, I have voip phone  (which I would recommend trying), but it blinks even when there are no calls.