Really bad Cable

dorian246

Hey man id just thought youd want to know Ive actually fixed this problem since. I bought a brand new computer and I still had this problem. Now im getting a five star connection rating. All I had to do was call shaw and tell them "look I bought a new computer its not on my end its on your end" and after pushing them quite a bit they agreed to come out and take a look. The problem was inside the bulding. Thats been fixed and now so has my connection. Might wanna call shaw here and see if something similar could be happening to you.

sorry for the double post but here are my new stats after calling shaw

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4320 Kbps about 4.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 527 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Thu Jan 5 04:39:02 PST 2006

Bottom Line:: 77X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.94 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 62.47 % faster than the average for host (shawcable.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1GIRNZL6K

so maybe call them and push em a bit.

That's cool Dorian.

I called them twice already and they sent people. They said the cable is ok and came with a bullshit answer that the RJ45 that I use is faulty. I didn't have a cable tester at the time but I tried later and is in good condition.

I actually told them something similar because I formatted my computer the day before they came but there was no change...

Excellent results, by the way. Are you using cablenut? If yes, what CSS?

Thanks again for the reply FallowEarth. The results:

The first link:

CP options string = 020405b401010402

MTU = 1500

MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460

Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 65535

RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits

Unscaled Receive Window = 65535

Note: TCP 1323 Options need to be enabled for RWIN over 2^16 (65535). Windows 9x might also need the MS Vtcp386 fix.

For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.

Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 2621.4 kbps (327.675 KBytes/s) @ 200ms

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 1048.56 kbps (131.07 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 122 hops

TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

The current date is: 05/01/2006

The current time is: 21:10:56.48

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Pinging testmy.net [67.18.179.85] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=53

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=224ms TTL=52

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=242ms TTL=52

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=228ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 67.18.179.85:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 160ms, Maximum = 242ms, Average = 213ms

Ping Complete.

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.18.179.85]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    25 ms    30 ms    29 ms  70.70.**.*

2    23 ms    24 ms    23 ms  rd1ch-ge4-0-0.va.shawcable.net [64.59.144.193]

3    53 ms    31 ms    27 ms  rc1bb-atm0-3-3.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.76.181]

4    32 ms    35 ms    30 ms  rc1wt-pos2-3.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.77.26]

5  164 ms  181 ms  135 ms  rc2wt-pos1-0.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.2]

6  171 ms  163 ms  151 ms  rx0wt-abovenet.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.22]

7  178 ms  136 ms  151 ms  so-6-3-0.mpr4.sjc2.us.above.net [64.125.28.21]

8  107 ms    98 ms    94 ms  so-2-3-0.cr1.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.29.50]

9    *      136 ms  120 ms  64.124.79.77.theplanet.com [64.124.79.77]

10    95 ms  111 ms  114 ms  vl31.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.127.29]

11  145 ms  118 ms  115 ms  vl42.dsr02.dllstx4.theplanet.com [70.85.127.91]

12  120 ms  117 ms  120 ms  gi1-0-2.car17.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.18.116.85]

13  123 ms  116 ms  122 ms  85.67-18-179.reverse.theplanet.com [67.18.179.85]

Trace complete.

Now, there is something new I noticed after using cablenut. I use BitComet as my torrent client and it was working fairly well until before cablenut. Now if I open Bit Comet I can't surf the web, I get 5KB as download rate.

The Actual downloading is not sucking my connection because I only had 2 active torrents downloading at 4-7 KB each. I limited the download speed anyway but didn't work.

I set up the port forwarding too.

Do you have any idea of why this happened and how to fix it?

Thanks again.

I have a Terayon Modem (could not find out what model)

About BitComet I just activated header encryption and the speed came back, is probably my isp capping the torrents.

I do have a router, a Linksys one. The problem is not there as I tried connecting the PC directly to my Modem without a big change.

Thanks.

That's cool Dorian.

I called them twice already and they sent people. They said the cable is ok and came with a bullsh*t answer that the RJ45 that I use is faulty. I didn't have a cable tester at the time but I tried later and is in good condition.

I actually told them something similar because I formatted my computer the day before they came but there was no change...

Excellent results, by the way. Are you using cablenut? If yes, what CSS?

No actually im not using Cablenut. No idea if I could get it faster but after years of aganoizing download speeds im not screwing anything up :P. And aslo you can do something I cant...when it comes to bit torrent I get impossible speeds of 1-2 kb/s so good job there.

I do have a router, a Linksys one. The problem is not there as I tried connecting the PC directly to my Modem without a big change.

I was wondering if the trace was any better with a direct connection? 

No actually im not using Cablenut. No idea if I could get it faster but after years of aganoizing download speeds im not screwing anything up :P.

I don't think that you will screw anything up with cablenut, you can always clear the values and save to registry to undo any changes you have made.  But there is the possibility that you can get better speeds by using cablenut.  I'd give it a shot.

Thanks a lot for your help, it seems that everything is getting sorted out.

I got a tech from Shaw to come to my house and after like half an hour of running random speed tests, he ended up telling me that it was because they are upgrading the zone and that if I'm having the same problems in 2 weeks I should give them another call.

I found out that Shaw is actually doing some traffic shaping all over BC so my speed goes down to 20 K's when I'm running a Bit Torrent client.  As soon as I close the client the speed goes up to 150 (still not the advertised speed but enough for surfing).

I'm pretty upset about this, given that I'm paying for a service and I should get it, regardless of what I'm using it for, not all Torrents are illegal contents. I download several podcasts a day as well as game patches and software distributions that are served using Bit Torrent or BT-like protocols.

I contacted customer service again and asked specifically about traffic shaping and they said that they are not doing it, I don't blame the guy on the phone because probably he doesn't know what the hell is going on with the company (I work for HP doing tech support for their notebooks, I know the ways of the corporations).

I'm giving them the time the tech guy asked and if I don't see a solution to this problem I think I'm going to switch providers. Why in the hell would I pay almost 50 bucks for a high speed connection if I can only use it to check my e-mail? I understand the company's position but I would settle for a lower advertised speed that their networks can handle and that I can use for whatever I want instead of a useless ultra high speed.

By the way, last year they were involved in a huge problem because they were blocking VOIP traffic from their competition.

What do you guys think?

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks a lot for your help, it seems that everything is getting sorted out.

I got a tech from Shaw to come to my house and after like half an hour of running random speed tests, he ended up telling me that it was because they are upgrading the zone and that if I'm having the same problems in 2 weeks I should give them another call.

I found out that Shaw is actually doing some traffic shaping all over BC so my speed goes down to 20 K's when I'm running a Bit Torrent client.

Hey man where in BC are you from? Im from Vancouver and I have no problems still getting my 500 kb a second

I'm from Mexico but I live in Chilliwack at the moment. It's a 100,000+ population town about an hour and a half away from Vancouver.

According to what I've been seeing around in different forums is a common trend now. I heard that they are implementing it region by region so probably those "upgrades" they are doing over here are those smart routers that can check the packets to see what they are for.

:!: I think its about time to check out the competition :!:

Yeah, I was looking into that but the only other option is DSL with Telus, the west coast Telco here in Canada. I have no problem with them, I used to have their service in my old house but for having service with them I'd need to pay for a phone line too and I just got  a cellphone... More than enough for me.

I'd gladly join an initiative for some legal action or something...

I'm from Mexico but I live in Chilliwack at the moment. It's a 100,000+ population town about an hour and a half away from Vancouver.

According to what I've been seeing around in different forums is a common trend now. I heard that they are implementing it region by region so probably those "upgrades" they are doing over here are those smart routers that can check the packets to see what they are for.

Yeah, I was looking into that but the only other option is DSL with Telus, the west coast Telco here in Canada. I have no problem with them, I used to have their service in my old house but for having service with them I'd need to pay for a phone line too and I just got