New HP Computer

rhapsodyfan

hey everyone

i just bought a new HP computer today and i have a question about the hard drive.  i still have my 5 month old HP computer and it came with a 40 GIG 5400rpm hard drive. didnt hear to much noise from it at all, this new computer came with a 120 GIG 7200rpm drive and it is alot louder than my other one. when i made my dvd backup discs it was pretty loud. is the hard drive bad or is this normal?  thanks for any help!!

My mom has an HP and it does the same thing. I'm guessing it's almost like a grinding type of noise? It seems like HP/Compaq drives always do that.

I've also had that problem on my computer a couple of times. I just defrag the drive and it seems to go away.

Guest PeePs

I have a HP too, and it's kinda wierd cause if the computer is sitting for a long time when i wake it up from the sleep mode its REALLLLLLLY loud. It sounds like the HD is spinning like 1,000,000 RPM. If I was less experienced with computers I would think that there was something wrong going on in there  ;). HP needs to get themselves some quieter hard drives, thats for sure.

i would say a clicking sound hard to explain it only does it when i open files or looking through the c drive wish i can explain it better.

Thats the sound of disk reading & writing. The larger the drive, the more prominent the sound is.