Ca3le wat kind of servers did u Buy

I just found this on the FAQ page:

"We do have a fast server - testmy.net currently employees 2 servers both are Dual 2.8GHz Xeon, 2 GB DDR RAM, Rehat Enterprise Linux, MySQL server, Apache Webserver, PHP, 100 Mbps uplink to a 16 Gbps Direct Fiber network.  testmy.net knows what kind of server is needed to get correct test scores to all users regardless of time of day and server load.  (also see Network Architecture)"

https://testmy.net/faq.html

Well I have priced the server and you are talking about $4,000 or cheapest $2,000 for one! And if you want a good dell server like that then the price is about $34,000. So yea that is alot. But you can always buy a cheap server and use it or setup your home pc as one it is pretty easy. But I think it costs cable about $500 a month for his servers. And cable couldn't run the server from his house unless he had a 100mbs line witch costs half a million a month or more! But as for the bandwitch this site uses I was told before like 1.5 terabytes or 1,500gigs a month!

Last month I went through over 2TB (2000GB) of transfer.  I can have up to 4TB without needing to buy another server. 

The servers I have are the following

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=pe1850-max&s=bsd

base price is $2,446 , 2nd processor is usually a 399 upgrade but right now it's free.  -- so for the two servers I have it would have been about $5,000 but I'm renting the server so of course I didn't need to pay that.  Also I have been with theplanet for quite a LONG time so they waived the $199 setup per server and gave me a little bit cheaper than their website says (I pay $408/month for both of my servers, and I have a few upgrades to my plan also).  Which if you shop around you will see that I'm getting a pretty good deal.

The hosting to the site went like this

1999 - 1st server - hypermart.net... free hosting (got banned because my site had too much traffic)

2000 free hosting as a partnership with an ISP (could no longer host me because I had too much traffic)

2002 - jiffynet.net - $5/month or some shit... server too slow.

2003 - servermatrix.com (a reseller for theplanet - cheaper servers) $79/month celeron 1.7GHz dedicated

2003 - theplanet.com total control 3.0GHz P IV $139/month

2004 - theplanet.com total control Dual XEON 2.4 215/month

2005 - theplanet.com total control Dual Xeon 2.4 (with SSCI) 225/month

2005 - theplanet.com total control Dual XEON 2.8GHz SSCI X2 server 408/month

All the figures are estimates, and I have actually been through more servers (allot more) but gives you a rough idea what I've gone through when it comes to hosting... but as you can see with success comes issues with how to host it :-D -- but it's cool, it's a write off.  :evil6: :evil6:

Dude, if I could run this out of my house I would.  That would be SICK!  To have a connection that fast at my house.  But I think it would cost about $16,000/month to get a connection fast enough to host this site... a bandwidth testing site relies on it's connection for accuracy... as you might imagine.  That would rock though!

What are you going to be doing with the server?  I may be able to show you what you would need to get the job done without over spending... trust me I have done allot of shopping when it comes to server, I know my shit :)

if we all lived in japan u could get a 100mbit line for around 26 or so USD/month

of u could get  a 1gbps line for i think around 70 a month, but it takes a LONG time to install, so you get 100mbps until the full 1gbps is in, i think its called BFlets or something...i could be completely wrong tho.  usen.ad.jp is the 100mbit for 26 or w.e /month USD. that would ROCK!

thanx for the info on the servers Ca3le

Basically i want to run a few gaming servers and 2 websites with max of 20 people on each

also wondering if you knew how much ram and stuff i would need

btw have you heard anything about bellsouth upgrading to 9/3

thx

Yea cable thanks for the info. I shopped around and I looked for a kick ass server with like 12gig min ram avaible slots and 2-4 cpus and that what I was talking about for $34,000! I really need to get a dedicated server soon I just got hosting from hostgator and they rock. But I am using like 20gig transfer a month I guess not alot. But my sites are not very big yet like 100-160 unigue hits a day so if they get as big as this site then I will have to get mutiple server most likely. I hope that happens but don't know if I can afford it lol! But I run a funny video site and resell several domains and so my funny video use alot of transfer! Anyway thanks for the info!

have you heard of a game called Wolfenstein Enemy Territyory

that is the game i want to host on with a max of 24 players in 2 servers at once

also the websites will just be viewed not downloading or movcing ne traffic

btw how do u control your server from your house is it by remote

thx again

You can always afford it if you get advertisers  ;)  -  But sites wit funny videos usually don't have the kind of payout that say a medical website or finacial site would have...  But you should always at least be able to pay for hosting.

Yea if you have the kind of traffic you have but with about 100-160 unigues a day I make nothing pretty much! I don't evemn make enough to cover my shared plan lol! But I use google ads and they got me not much so I took them off.

Well I would suggest at least a 2.8ghz non celeron cpu! And about 1gig of ram. And I would buy from theplanett.com or servermatrix.com and watch when you look for a server check out everything! Because some charge for every reboot and some charge for every addon like cpanel etc. That is why I like servermatrix or theplanet not really cheap but they don't have many hidden fees and charge you for every little thing.

what im trying to sya is that i want to have a server ruinning out  of my hosue

are there any recommendations

i dont want to rent a server from the planet but buy one istead

thx 4 ur help tho

go to dell.com ~~ they have very nice servers.  I personally would just build one myself off newegg.com

Well for that you need a very good internet line! But if you have that and you need alot of upload for a server not download! Then I could hep you out. I have setup my own server several times. Mostly just to say I did it. But are you wanting to run a site off of it or a game or both? If just a site then you need apache web server or something if both you still need it thanks.

Yeah, it's usually not worth it (cost wise) to run a server out of your house.  In the US connections that have enough upload are just too expensive.  Even FIOS (I'm sure of this) doesn't allow you to run a webserver from home, they most likely block port 80 and most other common web ports.  This is what Charter, Cox Communications, Comcast and many other providers do unless you pay for the business class internet... and if you decide you want to not listen to them and say....... use another port like 8080 (some are blocking this) or just any other made up port that's not commonly used by anything and you get caught... they will ban you from their service.

Renting or COLO is the way to go.

What operating system do you use for your webserver? 

cable im sure you love this website much more then anyone here cause u must have put many many hours into this

but i just cant figure out how much can u love this compared to how much money you are putting into the server a month

where do you get the money from

otherwise how much money are u getting from google ads?

do they really pay off when u have lots of people?

just wondering