Need help with color problem on computer

Randon

Hi!  I'm new here..and hoping I can get some MUCH needed help!  About a week ago, my computer decided to "flip out" on colors.  The colors are all messed up, as well as some other problems with size and colors.  Anyhow, I have tried EVERYTHING...when I go into display, and try to change the settings, it won't take...it goes right back  to being messed up.  I've tried a bunch of things, and nothing seems to be working.  I'm afraid that it could be my video card?????  And if so....I checked on the emachine site, and it says that I have a "shared video"....is that something that can be changed?  I hope someone can help me...and please remember to speak EASY computer lingo...I know some, but not a ton about computers...thanks so much.... :?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emachines are .....horrible... especially its integrated components. Sounds like your onboard video went out ( as do all of them on emachines computers ) , best bet is to take a look at www.newegg.com and buy a PCI video card. You can get one as cheap as $25 bucks.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=696%3A9642&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=48&Submit=Property

Its easy to install. Just open the side of the case and look for a white slot. Plug er' in and your good to go. You just have to disable the bad onboard video either thru windows or the bios.

Im sure someone will be along to help you more, right now i have to go >.<

Good Luck

When it happens, try turning the monitor off and back on again, see if that fixes it (until it happens again anyway)

One of my monitors is messed up every time i reboot my computer, turning the monitor off and back on fixes it every time.

Shared memory means it uses your computer's memory instead of it's own built in memory. Emachines (as well as others) have the video card built in to the motherboard.

You may also want to check the connection from your monitor and computer.

Since you said the settings "don't stay" it could be a virus. What does the "flipping out" like? Have you added any hardware lately?

When I say "it doesn't stay"...after I try to change the colors and settings on "display"...I click on apply...but then it goes right back to the way it was.  "flipping out"  means not only are the colors all messed up (it's very hard to read this site, because so many things are written in an aqua green color, which is hard to see with my colors being messed up)...anyhow, it also "jumps" a bunch..."pulses"...not sure what word would describe it.  I ran my anti virus...but it didn't pick anything up.  No, I didn't install any new hardware...

I have a question on your comment about the video card being part of the motherboard...does that mean it's not changable?  Do I have to buy a whole new computer, or do I just need a new tower?  Sorry for all the questions, this is just all Greek to me.....

Your video card being built in DOES mean that its not replacable, but your motherboard is equipped to accept alternate video , using the PCI slot.

* * * http://www.directron.com/howtovideo.html  * * *

All you do is take the card, and stick it in the white PCI slot on your motherboard. screw it in, plug up your monitor  and its ready to go. All youll have to do is go to the website and download and install the newest drivers for it.

You may have to disable the onboard graphics card in the bios, or thru windows first tho. In windows you just go to the device manager, and look for "display adapters" then disable it from there. then you shut down the computer, install the video card, and when you reboot, windows will automaticly detect the new video card.

Its very simple.

[edit]

Also, when choosing a video card , id reccomend Nvidia. Good solid card, and the drivers and user interface is easy to use.

That website is awesome...I just breezed through it, and saved it in favorites for the "procedure".  It seems as though I should be able to do it.  Question.....that video card that you suggested...is that something that I can buy at a computer store, or do I need to get it online?  How do I know which one will fit in my system? 

That website is awesome...I just breezed through it, and saved it in favorites for the "procedure". It seems as though I should be able to do it. Question.....that video card that you suggested...is that something that I can buy at a computer store, or do I need to get it online? How do I know which one will fit in my system?

Nvidia is the brand. (  www.nvidia.com )

ANY PCI video card will fit your tower. Nvidia cards (as well as other brands)  are avaliable almost anywhere, bestbuy, circuit city, local comp shops, etc. You can just get a better deal online ;)

Ok...I did my computer, properties, divice manager, display adapters, but nothing really happens when I click on that....or do I see anything that says anything about video .....do I need to get into something further? 

It'll say something like "display adapter". You'll need to find this to disable your current video set up after you get another video card. The two may conflict. This can also tell you if it's working properly or not.

You TURN OFF the vid support in bios (if it's even possible), you DISABLE it in device manager otherwise windows will keep trying to use it..

Thats right. Even if you disabled it in bios ( IF that is an option.. like on my mobo its not.) windows will still detect it being there. So its necessary to disable it in at least windows.