Need help with color problem on computer

Randon

Im currently running an emachines t2080 , with award bios 6 and i do not have an option to disable, turn off, stop, not use whatever my onboard video card. i have looked, thus not ALL mobos have this option.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what that link was meant to do, all I'm saying is, we don't know exactly what mobo and bios ver. this guy has. From the sound of it, this guy/gal seems very "new to computers"( No offense intended), but lets not have him getting into bios, looking for something that may not be there. It won't take long for an inexperienced person to totally screw bios up. I think we've all done a little r&d in bios and regretted it. Let's see if he can get into bios first, and tell us what he's got.

I believe the conversation when the wrong path when I was trying to correct information.

I did not tell him to go into BIOS, I was correcting information:

You disable onboard video card through BIOS, if you do not have this setting your onboard video might yield to the new video-card, (the link was to help look for jumper settings to disable onboard for certain EMACHINES) or there might be jumper settings.

I never typed that all motherboards have the option to disable through BIOS.

Of course we should wait for his model.

No one posted any incorrect information. And if it is, go into your device manager, look at your display adapter  and find your video card, right click on it and disable it. This guy hasn't posted on a few days. Maybe he fixed it........

like i said before reformat your hard drive

That's drastic.

Has anyone asked what monitor he's using? Check to see if the connection is good? This sounds like either a loss of sync, as a result of a bad/damaged cable, or as simple as a bent pin in the connector not making contact. This could also be that he attempted to change his display settings, which it does sound like he was doing, and selected a setting, either resolution, or monitor refresh rate, which his monitor does not support.

Yes, emachines suck....if your a gamer, but for everyday surf the web and email, their fine. His has  S3ProSavage8 video on board. That's a AGP 8X processor, limited only by the amount of ram installed. If he buys another video card for this machine, the best he can get is 4X. I'd buy more ram.

What he needs to do before he spends money, is to check the physical condition of the cable and connectors. Try replacing the cable. If they're OK, then try to reset the display properties back to what they were. If that cannot be done, and he may not be able to do that if the display image is so messed up because it is out of sync....he won't be able to click on any buttons, then restart the computer in safe mode and remove...uninstall the video drivers for the S3 ProSavage, re boot and reinstall the drivers. (Hope you have your disk)

If the on board video has gone south and you need to put a video card in this box, you'll have to uninstall the drivers any way before you install the new card. After seating the new card in the AGP slot, start the machine and the bios and windows willl detect the new card. The bios will automatically disable the onboard video.

Wow...I didn't have a chance to get on here over the weekend, and cant' believe how many replies there are! First of....I am a lady, not a man...which may explain why so much of this is greek to me...I spent almost all day on Friday on here with a man who was tons of help, having me try several things, to see if that was the problem, all of which didn't end up anywhere.  I've checked all the connctions, and cords, also tried disabling the video card, as well at the montior, and then letting Windows reistall it, but neither of those worked either.  I can get INTO display, but it won't let me change any of the settings...it's stuck on 16 bit, 640 x 480 resolution.  There used to be a drop down to change that 16 bit, but now 16 bit is my only option.  Any ideas????

Sounds like you need to update your video card drivers. Do you know what brand/model video card you have?

It is usually a good idea to keep your video card updated.Do you have access to another monitor you could try?

The monitor is rarely a problem but if you can get one to test & see if your monitor went bad it wouldn't hurt.

What puzzles me is that you only have the one setting :"it's stuck on 16 bit, 640 x 480 resolution." I think this is the link to the problem.Any other members have an idea on how to correct this part of the problem.Could it be a corrupt file for the display? How & where would

It most likely has to do with a driver. You need at least 16 color 640X480 to even begin to use your computer. Windows comes with many "basic" driver files to get you started. One thing, could you possibly be booting to safe mode? Safe mode only lets you use the most basic drivers. If your desktop displays the version of Windows you're using in all four corners, you are in safe mode for some reason.

netmasta: In the Windows ME it says safe mode in all 4 corners.This is Randon's OS.I went to safe mode on my PC it does only have 16 color 640X480 in display.My PC wouldn't connect to the internet in safe mode >I have dial-up .Will yours connect in safe mode.I would like to know.I'm not sure what type of connection Randon has.

How can I get in to check and see if I'm on the "safe mode"?  I'm using DSL internet...

As you know Cholla, you and I spent a good amount of time on this the other day...trying just about everything.  It seems odd that when we go into display adapters, the video card says "working properly", as does the montior.  I think somehow...the settings have gotten changed, and it 's just a matter of changing them back..but all the obvious ways aren't changing it.  Do keep in mind...it's an E-machines (I can hear all the groans now... )...and they have a shared video card.  I think I'm about ready to call E-machines support number, pay the 40.00, or whatever it cost, and see if they can help me...it's their product...maybe they'll know how to fix it???? 

When you looked at your display adapters, how many were listed?  I would delete them all, reboot, and let windows autodetect and reinstall the driver to see if this might correct the problem.  If not, you're already running at 640X480 anyway.....

cak46: I did some work by PM with Randon on this deleting is part of what we tried.Randon said only 1 video card is listed in display adapters.They also said they were working properly.I think the key to the problem is whatever is causing display to only have the 16 color  640X480 .But I can't figure out what the cause is.

Randon if you read this in windows ME it should have the words safe mode in all four corners of your screen if you are in safe mode.If this is the case let us know & we will go from there.

As Cholla said, he and I tried this last week.  My display adapters only shows 1 device, and we uninstalled that, and let windows reinstall it, we also did the same thing with the monitor.  Neither of which helped.  I would love to be able to send you a picture of what it looks like...I just don't know how.  I guess I'm NOT in the safe mode, because I don't have little windows things in each corner??? 

Hit the PrintScrn key, Now, stat ms paint (under Start Menu>Programs>Accessories).  When the progrm starts, click in the white window that opens the hold the ctrl key down and hit the V key.  It will ask you if you want to enlarge the image (whatever).  Click yess.  Then save the file to your desktop.  Now, start a post and attach the the file (attach is under additional options at the bottom of the post reply screen).

Randon: I am putting this here to add to what I PMed you .

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/system information once there select components l.click

the + components/then display this should give a lot of information on your cuuuren display &

what driver it is using.You can copy & paste that for me to look at.After that select the tools

pull down.Select the direct X diagnostic tool/l.click the display tab.It should say no problem

or give you a list of problems.While there use the test direct draw test & the test direct 3D

test it should say the tests were successful.

Guest donjunior1

When all else failes do what i do...... buy a **** webhost for $150 a year that offers (reseller whm) features so u can make that money back!.....then store all your (!MPORTANT DATA) there and  use the xp disk that you got with your pc then install the drivers from that other disk came with your pc (Oooo :oops:hhHH) you didnt get one?.......well mabey thats cause you went  with the cheap deal and got a (HP) Compact Persario or some generic version that juked you and said ok well our pc is a hassle free pc and we PRE_INSTALLED windows on the HD and all you have to do is run the recovery disk....well my friends lemmy tell you something NEVER buy any pc that has it like that for instance i buy (Dell)s Why....because i dont like What the :?:s  i hate stress and theres alot more things you could be doing like makeing $$$ with this machine but anyways i dont have te slightest clue on what your problem is LMAO but hey can u guess why.....

donjunior1: I don't even understand what your post is doing here its almost like you put it in the wrong topic.I don't think a XP disk is going to help Randon since her OS has ME .Of course a complete new install of XP might correct the problem.But on older PC's sometimes the new drivers in XP are wrong for the older PC.Some people don't have a home PC to make money so the web host is more than they want to spend .An external HD to store your OS & software is a lot more pratical.Then you can just put your important data back in if you need to .

Randon obviously  donjunior1  just wanted to put his 2 cents in & wasn't trying to help.