External Hard drive

rhapsodyfan

hi

sorry for another post but it seems like i have another problem here.  when i hook up my external hard drive by usb to the computer it seems to work fine. but its when i restart the computer i get an  Error Finding OS.  when i turn off the external hard drive and restart the computer it restarts just fine.  this is a new computer  HP one day old. any ideas or suggestions?  i checked the usb ports and it does it with them all. its a Seagate 120 GIG External Hard Drive  which by the way works fine on my other HP desktop.

To get to the BIOS you usually press esc or delete (it can vary) when your computer first starts up. Press it when you see the first boot-up screen. It will have a lot of text and maybe checking/counting the RAM (memory), or you may see a manufactures logo.

Once you are in the BIOS set-up screen, look for a section that lets you configure which order the devices boot up.

You may not be able to boot from a USB device. If not you will either need to have the OS on an internal hard driuve or you will need to create a start-up disk.

I'd recommend having Windows on an internal drive anyway, since they're usually faster.