Help me understand

Hello.  First...the results of my test:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1381 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 169 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Thu May 05 2005 07:35:37 GMT-0500 (CDT)

Bottom Line:: 25X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.06 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 38.72 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JW1IOD4L5

Now, here are my questions (I didn't post upload as I don't really upload much).

First off, the diagnosis says I'm running at 38% of average. Well, right now, things are particularly slow. I think if I had done this test yesterday I wouldn't get that.  I'm wanting help understanding what I am SUPPOSED to be getting.

For example, I thought that 4mbps was supposed to be my download speed, but looking at these other posts, that looks like the connection speed, while download speeds are typically much lower...So what is the connection speed...and how does it relate to download speed?

When I'm actually downloading large files (I've tried from various places as a test) I get around 300 kbps.  Is that good or bad or average or what? 

I called tech support and they are the ones who gave me the 4mbps number, but am I now understanding correctly that I shouldn't expect that as my download speed? 

They also told me that I had about 4% packet loss and are sending out a tech.  I will cancel that if my speeds are normal (assuming the speeds I posted above get back to what they were yesterday.)

I will try another test this evening, but I'm curious to get input.

Thanks.  I don't use Windows, I use Linux.  My question was this:

When I called tech support, they said I should be getting 4mbps download.  But that is actually my connection speed right?  Well it's supposed to be. 

So how do I know what my actual download rate is supposed to be?  It says 38% of average, but is that talking about connection speed or download speed and what is the difference?  (Well, obviously, I know what download speed is, but what is connection speed in relation to that?)

I just want to be able to talk intelligently with comcast and make sure I don't have a tech out here for no reason. 

When I called tech support, they said I should be getting 4Mbps download. But that is actually my connection speed right? Well it's supposed to be.

So how do I know what my actual download rate is supposed to be? It says 38% of average, but is that talking about connection speed or download speed and what is the difference?

Advertised speed % by 8.2 = RMS (constant) transfer rate.

4/386 account :

4000 % 8.2 = 487.8 kbs RMS

386 % 8.2 = 47 kbs RMS

Thats how you'd figure that out. Of course with different routes to different servers and including burst , the rates will vary, but thats the general formula.