DirecWay, TAXING USERS NOW!!!

sparky

I just got my May 1st to May 31st bill, to my suprise they are now taxing me! oh yes, they never did before so I got on the phone.....

The guy I talked to could not and would not give me an answer, I have an online business and I live in the state of WV witha 6% sales tax.

Heres the good part, I can only charge people that live in WV that 6.00% sales tax, if a customer orders from Texas, I am not legaly by law allowed to charge the 6.00% tax because I never made the sale in Texas! get my drift? the customer did not travel to WV from texas to make the purchase. its whats called a LOOP hole, the government are looking into this as we speak.

So I asked, how could they tax me, he said because they are nationwide, I told him they are in Maryland so how could they be nationwide, he informed me that they have installers all over the country, I told him they are not employed by dway, they are third party...... He went quite on me... then told me I would need to talk to my local tax office.

So I did, they told me that I can now start to charge people in the 50 US states a sales tax of 6.00, but at this time it is not mandatory to do so...... So how comes DWAY gets to charge us?

You may need to look at your bills and talk with your state tax office to find this out.

The thing that pissed me off is, DWAY at no point contacted me and told me this was going to happen, I thought you had to inform customers that there prices are going to change well in advance?????

I just found this info on there site...

4.1 FEES, TAXES AND OTHER CHARGES.

You agree to pay, in accordance with the provisions of the billing option you selected, any registration, activation or monthly fees, connect time charges, ISP service charges, minimum charges and other amounts charged to or incurred by you, or by users of your account, at the rates in effect for the billing period in which those amounts are charged or incurred. You agree to pay all applicable taxes related to your use of the Service or the use of the Service by users of your account. Information on charges and surcharges (if any) that are to be paid to us and are incurred by you or by users of your account will be made available to the you on the DirecWay web site, and you agree that this is sufficient notice for all purposes as to charges incurred and paid or to be paid to us. We reserve the right to increase fees, surcharges, monthly subscription fees or to institute new fees at any time upon 30 days prior notice. You understand and acknowledge that you may not receive a bill in the mail for your Service. Additional terms relating to pricing, billing and payment and which are an integral part of this Subscriber Agreement are set forth and available on the DirecWay web site.

Now what does this say????

We reserve the right to increase fees, surcharges, monthly subscription fees or to institute new fees at any time upon 30 days prior notice

This is found in DirecWays aggrement..... So in reality, they broke there agrrement correct?

I live in Maryland and have not incurred that type of tax. Sounds kind of bizarre. Does this tie into the whole DirecTV satellite taxing somehow? One thing, if Direcway is collecting a state tax, they (Direcway) must have a tax ID in that state (I would think). That is the only way I could imagine Direcway doing this legally. So, is Direcway transferring this tax to your state? I dunno..............NeeDSpeeD

We just had an attempt to tax ISP's like Direcway in Nevada. Come to find out it was lobbied by Charter cable because Charter has to add a franchise fee on their billing. They use poles and underground utilities for cables so that's where the tax comes in. We beat it though.. :haha:

The whole thing with tax and the internet sucks.... I own an online store, I also sell through ebay, I live in WV but can only charge tax to people in WV, I cannot at this time charge people in the other 49 states the 6.00 sales tax, so who pays that? me! why? because there is no law as yet for internet sales taxes.

So if this is the case, and I bought my system over the internet with my C/C and was not taxed, but now I look at my bills and I am being taxed for the monthly service of $59.95 or what ever it is.

2 months ago this was not the case, its just started to happen, nothing to do with the govenment, THIS INTERNET SALES TAX HAS NOT BEEN PASSED!!!

Direcway tried telling me some bullshit about they can do it because they are in my state, I told them "no your not, your in Maryland" the guy told me "we have installers in WV" again I told him "No you do not, you pay third party companies to do your work, they are not directly on your payroll", the ass hole went quite and told me I would have to speak to my local tax office, so I did....... They told me that the tax has not been sorted out yet, but if I wanted to I could collect the tax from all 50 states and declare it, but it is not complulsary as yet!

HUMMMMM......Figure that out..

• 4 weeks later...

Not only did they tax me SC 5% on equipment and a month's service in advance, when I returned the equipment they refused to refund the tax saying they were 'buying back' the equipment and didn't have to return the tax. I have reported them to the SC Dept of Revenue because I'll bet they are claiming the equipment is returned on their state sales tax return to get the credit and keeping it in their pocket. See my post 5/31 Tale of Woe for the whole story.

Not only did they tax me SC 5% on equipment and a month's service in advance, when I returned the equipment they refused to refund the tax saying they were 'buying back' the equipment and didn't have to return the tax. I have reported them to the SC Dept of Revenue because I'll bet they are claiming the equipment is returned on their state sales tax return to get the credit and keeping it in their pocket. See my post 5/31 Tale of Woe for the whole story.

Did you get a complete refund, or did you get stuck for some installation charges?

See my post yesterday subject 'Tale of Woe'. But yes, they 'bought back' the modem and transceiver for $600 (so they could keep the $30 in tax) and stuck me for $400 in installation and a month's service in advance $100 (plus $5 in tax) which I'm still trying to get back. Incredible ripoff. Fraudulent business practices. Shame.