things to expect before getting vonage...

bent240LV

im going to get vonage becasue i got my spring bill today and they raised it $4.00 for soem tax that the governemtn supposedly makes them pay. So i read teh description of the tax and it says that it is to keep telphone service cheap for low income families, library and schools. I said heck no i am not paying $4 more a month on top of my already high phone bill and not even have LD for free just so some crack head can have cheap or even free phone service. :lol:  So it is time to go to vonage i finally got the wifes approval and i just want to get everyone feedback on the service if they liek ti or not and waht to expect with ym broadband connection. Will it be slower? chopy downloads or anyhting of that sort. i currently have 4mb service but was gogint o upgrade to the 5mb service to get the vonage. thansk for the info

you dont have to upgrade your speed at all, Vonage only uses 90kbs of your of your internet speed, but the custemor service is very bad, u wont understand a thing they say, because everyone that works there is arabian or something. I was thinkung about getting Vonage, but didnt get too far. The same lady kept on picking up the phone everytime I called, and I couldnt really understand her. So I said fuck it.  :)

actually i just singed up for vonage broadband phone service about 3 hours ago ehhh!!!! I liked the fact i live in Ohio, and i can have my vonage phone number located in California or anywhere in the US that rocks LOL. Basicly i will use the service often. Also being able to show up on caller id's showing a Cali area will be fun. Mess with peoples heads. I Guess i got the service just as a toy.

I installed the 24.95 program back in January with a fax line.  For the first two months the service was flawless.  Soon I began to notice that on outgoing calls, I could hear them but they could not hear me and the fax handshake was dropping connections.  I was using the PAP phone adapter and the techs at Vonage sent me a Linksys 3 port router with two phone line interfaces (RT31P2).  My problem continued.  I even had the service people from Cox (my ISP) out to check things on my end.  I have a VERY fast connection and everything here checked out fine.  This problem was not constant, happening only about 10-15% of the time which made it just that much more difficult to diagnose.  I must say that I was very impressed with the support I received from Vonage and had none of the problems mentioned above.  These people really wanted to help me make this thing work but I am a Realtor and my phone line and fax abilities are critical to my work so I reluctantly decided I had to go back to SBC.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 7920 Kbps about 7.9 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 967 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sat May 07 2005 11:00:06 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 141X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.06 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 155.4 % faster than the average for host (Cox.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-GQ3CV4SX7

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 753 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 92 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sat May 07 2005 11:02:07 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 11.13 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 100.8 % faster than the average for host (Cox.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-R587WVZUX

my next two wuestions are what phone adapter is better to get the PAP2 or the RT31P2? and also, do some of you ugys think the problems might be with ceartain areas? i notice some people have problems but most people have no problems. i know my dad loves it adn has never had a problem. ok thanks for all the feedback guys