AOL continues to lose subscribers

netmasta

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aol is already moving away from subscribers by letting everyone, not just the poor sods that pay for it visit their homepage. they are now financing it with advertising. if this means that you pay for it and still have to look at the ads on your homepage i don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

since aol has gone in with time warner bankruptcy is unlikely. more likely is the cessation of internet access if enough people leave. but with the difficulties encountered by many when they try to leave, their customer retention is pretty good. not to mention the fact that if you have installed the aohell cd your pc is pretty much useless for any other connection because of the aol trojan™ technology that is installed.

my uncle wont switch from aol because then u cant do parental controls easy, cus he has a lot of kids, and even my dad still uses aol because of his businesses e-mail, so we actually have aol and dsl right now, which is a complete waste of money.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get the AOL/Road Runner bundle package.  This means that you get a cable connection, but still keep your AOL account active.  It's no additional cost for the AOL, you just pay for the cable modem and connection, plus you get the RR account and benefits.

• 3 months later...

Well I still use AOL and the thing that bothers me is that they like to overcharge my wifes checking account, She has her own account and I have mines and we should be paying about $40 for both accounts and sometimes they over charge to $70-200 no lie and we have to be calling to fix that problem up and already reported this to the Better Business Bureau, But its really her who wants to keep AOL cuz to me I can just use Internet Explorer to browse through sites, So yea AOL is a pain in the a$$ :angry5:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I still use AOL and the thing that bothers me is that they like to overcharge my wifes checking account, She has her own account and I have mines and we should be paying about $40 for both accounts and sometimes they over charge to $70-200 no lie and we have to be calling to fix that problem up and already reported this to the Better Business Bureau, But its really her who wants to keep AOL cuz to me I can just use Internet Explorer to browse through sites, So yea AOL is a pain in the a$$ :angry5:

why you paying $40?

• 5 months later...

All I use to browse is firefox, my dad needs his little AOL security blanket. I have tried to convince him to upgrade, but he wont. Usually we would have good speeds for dial-up once we got on, bet getting on took so long. All of the  welcome screens with the ads take like 10 minutes to load. Sometimes this little spy-zapper thing pops up and makes the connection even slower.  We were about to go broadband for the same price with roadrunner, but the service is not available in our area (which is really f'd up by the way because we live in a city). Thank god one of my neighbors left their wifi public.

AOL is so braggy about their spyware/virus checks. We have their little safety and security thinger. It doesn't do anything. I use Azureus for torrents, and it blocks so many of my connections, even though I allow the ports that it uses. It cant detect spyware for anything, I can run it and it says that its all fine, and then run ad-aware and find like 30 programs. Plus, to make it even better, you have to pay for a better fire wall. They are already stealing our money, and they cant even give us the best firewall?

In conclusion AOL=Nazis

meh, I just wrote that nazi thing cause it was the first thing that came to my head, I do that a lot...

Just yesterday I got a call from AOL asking if I wanted to upgrade the account to highspeed for the same price. I told the lady (who had trouble speaking english) that I couldn't make any decisions like that because I'm not the account holder. She then said that she would set us up anyways if I just gave her the ok. I said that if she wated to speak with my dad she would have to call after four. She then said that she would call the next day at noon, so I again told her that she couldn't speak to him until after four. She then proceeded to ask me how old the account was, I reply with how the **** am I supposed to know, then threw out 8 years because I has had previous aol email adresses, but my current one is 7 years old, so it at least had to be 8 years. She then started her whole speach over again. Eventually I was like we can sign up for this online if or when we want to. I cant make the decision that you want me to  because its not my account, so will you just leave me alone and call back later? Her reply was : we are signing members up right now for the highspeed and you can sign up too. At that point I gave up and hung up. Fortunatly they havent tried calling again yet.

as for your neighbors wifi, that's fbi jurisdiction, so tread softly.

Its not a secured network, there is nothing that says I can't use it, no protection that I maliciously broke through. My computer is just picking up the signal it finds and connecting me to the net. If I was somehow conecting to other computers that use this connection and stealing information from them that would be illegal. 

Its not a secured network, there is nothing that says I can't use it, no protection that I maliciously broke through. My computer is just picking up the signal it finds and connecting me to the net. If I was somehow conecting to other computers that use this connection and stealing information from them that would be illegal.

I'm not positive about the legalities, but it boils down to a moral issue: if your neighbour's car was unlocked with the keys in the ignition, would you take it for a joyride without their permission?

I haven't been using this connection for long, just got the notebook three weeks ago and found the wireless switch two weeks ago. I assumed it was some public wifi thing from our city until I found out linksys was just snet's defult name like 5-ish days ago (is it illegal to drive around and see other peoples wireless connections, thats how I figured it out, lol. I was like, wait, if linksys is the public one, then why does this house in the middle of nowhere have it too?  I had assumed that each one would have a unique name or something) 75% of the time I cant even get a connection, it only works at night and early morning

At first I was worried too about using someone else's wifi, but after I googled it I just found sites that said that there was nothing outlawing it as of yet, and with the plethora of public access points there was no way to prove that any open point wasn't public (or something else like that) One site also said that it wouldn't hurt the person that you were using, that the companies factored in extra for usage like that. I guess that infos a little out of date...

Well, my "thieving" will soon be coming to an end if my dad listens to the pushy AOL rep and upgrades to highspeed for the same price. Anyone know a way to access the AOL connection without having their ad ware crap all over my computer, I just got finished taking it off once...Can you make the AOL highspeed wireless? Can more than one user be connected at once? (regular dial-up only allows one screenname per account on at a time, even if they are dialing in from different locations- I was trying to dial-up at my grandmothers to access the forum, but my dad was on-line at home and it wouldn't let me on)

I guess I have to reinstall the AOL again, cause if I can get in trouble for what I'm doing I'd rather suffer with dial-up...

Guest philp

I'm not positive about the legalities, but it boils down to a moral issue: if your neighbour's car was unlocked with the keys in the ignition, would you take it for a joyride without their permission?

Depends. What kind of car is it?  :haha:  :haha:

Guest philp

Well, my "thieving" will soon be coming to an end if my dad listens to the pushy AOL rep and upgrades to highspeed for the same price. Anyone know a way to access the AOL connection without having their ad ware crap all over my computer, I just got finished taking it off once...

AOL IS spyware/adware.  :evil:

Guest philp

I know, I just finished getting it all off my system, including all the hidden crap that stays when you do the ad/remove programs stuff.

Wow! Is that even possible?  :haha:

Seriously, I was finding AOL crap on my 2 years after I thought I got it all.

AOL person was finally able to talk to my dad today (third time they called) He tried to tell them that he didn't want dsl because of all the equipment like the filters because we have too many phones in our house to put filters on. They wouldn't let him go... He finally told them that when he decides to upgrade that he's going to comcast digital cable and dumping AOL so they should stop wasting their time with him. The lady kept talking, so he hung up ^_^

AOL person was finally able to talk to my dad today (third time they called) He tried to tell them that he didn't want dsl because of all the equipment like the filters because we have too many phones in our house to put filters on. They wouldn't let him go... He finally told them that when he decides to upgrade that he's going to Comcast digital cable and dumping AOL so they should stop wasting their time with him. The lady kept talking, so he hung up ^_^

dsl is not that hard to set up at all.  But how many phones do u have?