AOL continues to lose subscribers

netmasta

dsl is not that hard to set up at all.  But how many phones do u have?

We have seven, 1 in basement, 4 on first floor, 2 on second. I think that you can only have five lines, and my dad doesn't want to have to buy all that equipment. Plus we need to be able to hook up three computers to be online at the same time (one desktop and two notebooks), so I'm going to have him get a wireless thinger. I dont even know if you can have multiple connections with DSL. Anyways, the less equipment the better. Plus, for an extra five bucks or so over the AOL crap we can have cable! 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have seven, 1 in basement, 4 on first floor, 2 on second. I think that you can only have five lines, and my dad doesn't want to have to buy all that equipment. Plus we need to be able to hook up three computers to be online at the same time (one desktop and two notebooks), so I'm going to have him get a wireless thinger. I dont even know if you can have multiple connections with DSL. Anyways, the less equipment the better. Plus, for an extra five bucks or so over the AOL crap we can have cable! 

you dont need alot of equiptmnet with DSL, your thinking that you need a phone line filter on every line in the house you dont, you just need one on the modem, You can have as many connections as you want on the DSL.

you dont need alot of equiptmnet with DSL, your thinking that you need a phone line filter on every line in the house you dont, you just need one on the modem, You can have as many connections as you want on the DSL.

hmm....thats odd, for verizon we need a filter on all the phones except for the modem

hmm....thats odd, for verizon we need a filter on all the phones except for the modem

thats how it is for my grandmother's sbc, and they said that there could only be five filters. In the end my dad is going to go with whatever he can get for the cheapest, he doesn't care about connection speed or anything like that. My luck he'll stay with the AOL dial-up until they discontinue it...

My luck he'll stay with the AOL dial-up until they discontinue it...

That's how they get ya! They won't discontinue it as long as they can charge you for the garbage they provide. Which is exactly why they are so uncooperative when you call to cancel them. If they frustrate you long enough to get you to hang up in disgust before they agree to your demands, they win and you continue to pay. You MUST have the strength to stay with it until you talk them into cancelling your service and you get a confirmation number.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Should have gotten a freakin' medal for spending almost 45 minutes on the phone with a very pleasant sounding (but apparently brain dead) lady who, like all the customer "service" reps at AOhell, was paid to berate people until they give up trying to get away.

A friend of mine told me about the sign over the door to US Special Forces sniper school that said "You can run, but you'll die tired." I bet the one at AOL says "You can call, but you'll die listening to 'you've got mail'. "  :twisted:  :twisted:

the best way to do it is to go to wherever the phone line comes into the house and split off a line to the dsl modem. then you have the part that branches out to all the old phones in the house. put one filter in front of that and all the phones are covered.

I told this to my dad, and he went ahead and ordered the AOL DSL. Hopefully I get good speeds, maybe it will make up for having to have the aol crap installed. Now all I need to do is get a router...

I told this to my dad, and he went ahead and ordered the AOL DSL. Hopefully I get good speeds, maybe it will make up for having to have the aol crap installed. Now all I need to do is get a router...

maybe for a million bucks i would want the aohell stuff installed. imnsho aohell is almost as bad as google.

• 9 months later...

AOL continues to loose subscribers because they suck. the charge you $10 extrax a month to use aol with your exsing broadband connection, and since most broadband connections cost $40-$50 a month its just way to much money. you can get verizon FIOS for $49.99 a month and get more speed then ever. and still use your AOL IM. 

AOL is now free and no longer 10 bucks for BYOI(Bring your own ISP).