Up and running on the FIOS Static IP Business plan

KingCobra

I converted my residential FIOS plan to the static ip address(s) business plan.  It's still the 15/2 speed, but I have five static ip addresses to play with, I'm no longer using the D-Link router, and I am free of the PPPoE implementation.  If anyone is considering the same, let me know if you have questions.

Just curious...what are you going to do with 5 IP addresses, how many machines are you running, and why would you eliminate the router?

B

Since he now has 5 IP addresses, he doesn't really need a router. At least that's how I see it. Most people have a router so they can have a LAN that shares the same outside IP address. That way, they don't need to purchase additional IPs.

Since he now has 5 IP addresses, he doesn't really need a router. At least that's how I see it. Most people have a router so they can have a LAN that shares the same outside IP address. That way, they don't need to purchase additional IPs.

I've got three static available here with Skynet, but still use routers to take advantage of the hardware firewalls. I also use the individual IP addresses for video...video conferencing.

HaloBox , what's the bump in price for the busness plan and the static IP addresses? Still waiting for FIOS here. It is in my back yard and they're doing installs all around me. Verizon has only been advertising the two plans here, 5/2 and 15/2.

are you using a hub or a switch to feed the signal to your individual machines?

B

hey halobox would you reccomend i use my d link wired router with my linksys wireless router connected to it. Or do you think i should eliminate the d link and just use the linksys. The problem i had with the linksys is if your sopposed to connect your computer to the internet without a router before you connect it i did not know how I would do that using verzion fios. Thanks 4 your time! :D

• 1 year later...

If you are using the static ip address plan, you can hook up whatever you want.  There is no PPPoE or DHCP.  You receive a block of ip addresses and a gateway.  You can use their DNS server or someone else's.

I built my own firewall, dns server, web hosting infrastructure, email server, etc.  You can still use the D-Link or a Linksys if you like.  Just set the WAN port to use the static ip address you receive, gateway, etc.

Were you able to get the static IPs working without using NAT?  I also have the 5 static ip business plan.  However, using the ActionTec router which Verizon provided, I can only get the static IPs to work using NAT.

Thanks,

Brian

Were you able to get the static IPs working without using NAT?  I also have the 5 static ip business plan.  However, using the ActionTec router which Verizon provided, I can only get the static IPs to work using NAT.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

It sounds like your dsl modem is in a "gateway" configuration If your ISP sets it up in bridge mode you can use your static IPs behind it.

I've got three static available here with Skynet, but still use routers to take advantage of the hardware firewalls. I also use the individual IP addresses for video...video conferencing.

HaloBox , what's the bump in price for the busness plan and the static IP addresses? Still waiting for FIOS here. It is in my back yard and they're doing installs all around me. Verizon has only been advertising the two plans here, 5/2 and 15/2.

are you using a hub or a switch to feed the signal to your individual machines?

B

I agree with "bwt1953". Use a hardware firewall regardless of wether you have static IPs or DHCP.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI,

I switched back to the residential plan.  It was the only way to get FIOS TV.  When I was on the business plan, I had the main feed come into a switch.  On that switch, I could put my Xbox360, FTP server, streaming media server and firewall.  Everything behind the firewall is on the GigE backbone at my house.  In short, only one of the ip addresses was NAT'd.

Cheers,

Halobox

• 2 years later...

Since he now has 5 IP addresses, he doesn't absolutely charge a router. At atomic that's how I see it. Most humans accept a router so they can accept a LAN that shares the aforementioned alfresco IP address. That way, they don't charge to acquirement added IPs, ip pbx...