large folder

billybob12345

that stores information about your hard drive... dont try to mess with it

I agree, but he was  saying ( in PM )  its already in the 2.x GB range in size..  NO system file should be THAT large.. hell windows XP itself is only about 3 - 4GB in total.. and this system volume folder is already 2 GB and increasing. O_o

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309531"> MS Support How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder</a>

This article describes how to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. The System Volume Information folder is a hidden system folder that the System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points. There is a System Volume Information folder on every partition on your computer. You might need to gain access to this folder for troubleshooting purposes.

The 'system volume information file' holds restore points for the system restore function in Win2k and XP. In XP sp2 this is on by default. The OS is taking a snapshop of your computer configuration at intervals and when you install or uninstall programs. I believe the only control you have over this is to either turn it off or on and toi set the maximum file size that it can use. Go to 'control panel', then 'system' then click on the 'system restore' tab. Any further control would be thru the registry settings

In Win2k you can easily delete this file, but windows will recreate it almost immediately, the new file will be about 20KB and of course you loose your restore points.I am not able to delete this file in XP, perhaps in safe mode. Don't know, I haven't tried it.

more info here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

to get back on the subject of this folder my folder is now 5mb bigger than last time and i still don't know why

Have you made changes to your configuration, added or removed hardware, installed or uninstalled programs?

Have you made changes to your configuration, added or removed hardware, installed or uninstalled programs?

nope i haven't messed with it other than right clicking on it and going to properties to see how big it was..i don't think that would mess it up (if i'm wrong please say) but that is all i did

i am thinking i should just reformat my harddrive any one else think so?  :shock:  :cry:  :icon_pale:

I think if you just disable System Restore, it will automatically erase all of the existing restore points (Thus making the directory smaller)...

I think if you just disable System Restore, it will automatically erase all of the existing restore points (Thus making the directory smaller)...

since there is a way to erase all but the most recent restore point should i just make a new restore point then delete all of them except this most recent one using the disk cleanup program in start>programs>accesories>system tools>disk cleanup?

it's worth a try isn't it