Slow Wireless Speeds

Ned_Flanders

Hello guys, I'm having a problem with slow ADSL speeds over a wireless connection.

My hardware is as follows:

1 x Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router

3 x Belkin Wireless 54g PCI network cards

I have a 2mb ADSL connection, which when I connect via my old USB ADSL modem I get around 200-225Kbps download speed.  When I first set up a ad-hoc network I noticed that the client PC's download rates were much slower, around 45-90 Kbps - but I figured, hey - my family won't care!  ;)

Now, I bought the above router so that all my PC's could be connected 24/7 I am connected via wireless and my d/l speeds are just as poor :(

All the hardware has the latest drivers installed (my PC has just had a fresh install of WinXP-SP2 aswell) and the router has the latest Beta firmware.

I browsed your forums and came across the TCP Optimizer program, and I ran that - BANG - I was getting 225Kbps download again...w00t!  But all of a sudden the speeds have dropped again back to around 90-130Kbps :(

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 932 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 114 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Tue May 10 2005 01:14:17 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 17X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.98 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 80 % of your hosts average (as15444.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-D3PNBIM05

Ok, sorry about the length of the post - any ideas about fixing my problem would be very welcome.

Thanks,

since netgear has pretty rangey signals, try enabling security to be sure ur neighbors aren't hogging the bandwidth.  disable dhcp and enable static if you know what that is to set your own ip address.  also try setting ur MTU size to 1492 if you have dsl and 1500 if you have cable.  and lastly, set your channel to something different from wireless conflicts with other wireless routers.  gl with your speed man

Thanks for the input so far guys -

I ran that TCP Ompimizer program again, and discovered that the MTU (?) won't work when it tests 1458 - the last good test was at 4006 I believe, so I have set my router and PC's to have an MTU of 4000. - My speed does seem a tad batter:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1346 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 164 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Tue May 10 2005 12:46:46 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 24X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.24 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 14.07 % faster than the average for host (as15444.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DCQPV2LIB

But, still when I connect via a USB modem I get my regular 200-225KBps speed.

As for the router having only beta firmware, I don't think that is the problem, as this speed problem was present when I first set up a ad-hoc network between my PC's (as I said before, my PC was then connected via the USB modem so I didn;t care too much about the speed problems)

I am not sure how to disable DCHP - but I would like to even if it does not improve speeds, as I want static PC's for all my PC's - could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

i'll try to do quick walkthrough with default ip since class is about to start in 4 minutes.  on ur router config screen, on the left panel, click on lan settings or wan.  then uncheck dhcp ip.  after doing that, go to properties on ur wireless card, then tcp/ip should be on the white box(just scroll down) then go to it's properties.  enter you ip(default should be 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.50) subnet 255.255.255.0 host 192.168.0.1, ur dns should be on ur status page on ur router. then ur done i'll try to elaborate when i get home if u have any further problems. sorry i gotta go to class now

i'll try to do quick walkthrough with default ip since class is about to start in 4 minutes.  on ur router config screen, on the left panel, click on lan settings or wan.  then uncheck dhcp ip.  after doing that, go to properties on ur wireless card, then tcp/ip should be on the white box(just scroll down) then go to it's properties.  enter you ip(default should be 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.50) subnet 255.255.255.0 host 192.168.0.1, ur dns should be on ur status page on ur router. then ur done i'll try to elaborate when i get home if u have any further problems. sorry i gotta go to class now

Thanks - I did what you said, but unfortunatly I cannot access the internet when I do this :(

I noticed an odd thing, that the speed of the connection via wireless jumps up and down a lot - as you can see from the screen shot there are a lot of spikes!  Does this seem familiar to any other problem anyone has encountered before?

(That screen shot is a from a speed test of 20MB's)

Cheers

netmeter2zm.jpg

first of all, set the MTU back to 1492...

for static ips, assuming you are running windows xp, open the network connections folder, right click on the connection you are using for your network (most likely Local Area Connection), click properties. In the "This connection uses the following items:" box, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the properties button.  Change the top radio button to Use the following ip address, enter an ip address (i would suggest 192.168.0.200 and go up 1 for each other computer, ex. 192.168.0.201) subnet mask should fill in automatically when you select it, if not, enter 255.255.255.0.  your gateway will most likely be 192.168.0.1. you will also have to enter DNS servers, so click start-run-cmd, type ipconfig /all and make a note of the DNS servers.  if there is more than one, put one in the preferred DNS server box and one in the alternate DNS server box. ok your way out of everything, and reboot.

I did everything apart from re-boot. 

Does anyone know of a firmware update, as said above, for my wireless cards (not the router - as I already know where to get that).  I didn't think there is a firmware update at all - the card is listed in my first post.

Still, these speed problems remain :( - starting to get me a little annoyed!