Serious problem with speeds, need help!

blufire

I'm having really, really bad problems with my throughput speeds on my Comcast cable internet connection. The short story is that I'm getting 100-200kbit download speeds on an advertised 4mbit connection, while upload speeds are close to the advertised 384kbit.For the speed report by testmy.net, check the bottom of this post. The "cliff's notes" on my problem:

- I followed all the instructions on that sticky that you guys point everyone to.

- I have a Mac, running OS X 10.3.8.

- I downloaded and installed BroadbandOptimizer v1.5, which does not help my speeds at all.

- I've tried connecting directly to the modem, and to the router (Linksys BEFSR41)

- I've tried connecting the modem to two different cable outlets in my house.

- I've had this problem on several computers in my house.

- I am not running any firewalls or virus protection programs.

- I called up Comcast this morning. The representative had me unplug the modem, router, computers, etc. and plug them back in, in order. He then ran some tests, noting that everyone else in my area seemed to be getting good pings and had not mentioned any problems with connection speeds. Then, he pinged me, noting that he was getting good times there too. He had me ping a couple hosts such as www.yahoo.com (32 ms) and www.comcast.net (~80 ms). He then had me traceroute some IP, and that ended up very well with pings in the range 20-100 ms. I asked him why the troughput would be so horrid then, and he didn't really know... I scheduled a technician appointment for wednesday, and supposedly if they find that the problem is with my computers, I'll be charged $50.

- I'm really cofused.

OK guys, that's basically my situation in a nutshell. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to solve my problem? I would be indebted...

I'm something of a software engineer, so don't spare any technical jargon on me ;-)

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 109 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 319 kB)

Download Speed is:: 13 kB/s

Tested From:: http://s1.camaroz.net

Test Time:: 

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB download in 78.77 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 3.05 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-HE4JYQIBM

Guest helloimtim

I saw something in your post. Your not running any anti virus programs? Is that right. Im telling ya flat out. Check for virus and or nastys first!! From all my experience alot of speed issues can be traced back to virus and or spyware. Always use tweaking last. If you and or your family mess with p2p programs such as limewire,bearshare,kaza. Thoes types of programs I would be willing to bet you have some forsure nastys. Im not judding. Just stateing fact. Download one or 2 free anti virus programs. Start your computer in safe mode and scan it. Also run a few spyware scans as well. If nothing on your computer and all is fine then go for the tweak.

I'm quite positive that's not the problem... this is a virtually new installation, and I know I have no spyware or viruses, since I haven't really downloaded anything yet. Plus, no one writes viruses/spyware for Mac  ;)

I asked around and I found that some people said I should be looking into signal/line attenuators to solve my problem. Does anyone know if these would help me, and if so, should I just get one from Comcast right now or should I wait till the technician comes in on wednesday?

I realize that, but I'm still very confident that I have no spyware/virus problems going on. This problem is occuring across 3 different computers. The problem is not GUI sluggishness or anything of the sort, but rather it really does feel like i have a 100-200kbit cap on every individual connection (but all of the connections draw from the 4mbit pool). Everything I've used my internet connection for confirms this... internet radio, P2P applications, surfing, testing sites such as this,etc. The only discrepancies are pings and the fact that my brother can somehow download at 200-300kb/sec from his World of Warcraft downloader app... go figure.

Anyone have any idea on those Line Attentuator/Signal Attenuators? I'm going to do some research...

Comcast called me up and told me that they've been having problems in my regional area (1 mile radius of me)... something about "return paths" and "head wire" or something. Anyways, they said they are troubleshooting and should have it fixed by "the end of the week"...