Re: Multitasking: Discuss anything you want to in this topic

FallowEarth

Yes, that is exactly it, cholla!  its relatively cheap and easy to build (be sure to use glue), and its lots of fun....just be sure you have the room to play, and that you're not firing into somebody's back yard!  Apples work best I find too.

oh boy  :roll:...here we go...boys will be boys...geesh...some little kids gonna read this stuff...all the black powder and now cannon fluey...make his own and blow his friggin li'l face off...why u guys posting links to sites where u can make stuff a kid could get hurt with...then ur talkin about how to fuel it with combustibles...c'mon cholla i know you have more common sense than to post stuff like this in a family forum...seriously...pipe bombs with a potato (apple)...grrrrrr

oh boy  :roll:...here we go...boys will be boys...geesh...some little kids gonna read this stuff...all the black powder and now cannon fluey...make his own and blow his friggin li'l face off...why u guys posting links to sites where u can make stuff a kid could get hurt with...then ur talkin about how to fuel it with combustibles...c'mon cholla i know you have more common sense than to post stuff like this in a family forum...seriously...pipe bombs with a potato (apple)...grrrrrr

Its not a pipe bomb, Tdawnaz.  Fired a few myself, back when I was a kid.  I don't think we need to worry that we're informing the youth of today about anything new.  I think the youth of today are far more advanced in finding information on far worse stuff than potato cannons.. 

Its not a pipe bomb, Tdawnaz. Fired a few myself, back when I was a kid. I don't think we need to worry that we're informing the youth of today about anything new. I think the youth of today are far more advanced in finding information on far worse stuff than potato cannons..

just because they may already know about it doesn't make it right for a bunch of 'adults' give them directions to where exactly they can go to find out how blow their face off or catch something on fire...this was not appropriate...period!!...not to mention illegal in some place i'm sure

tdawnaz ;Well they might go to the link from here but the info on the potato cannon is readily available on the web.I doubt most parents would have the site blocked. the potato canon is even available commercially so it is not a pipe bomb.I would never give instructions to build a pipe bomb.The combustable I mentioned would not be available for minors to buy.Fallow Earth mentioned the other 2.Which might be a household item.Black powder is also not sold to minors.Although I was shooting a .22 rifle when I was 6 years old.I guess people taught about guns early have a different perspective.

tdawnaz ;Well they might go to the link from here but the info on the potato cannon is readily available on the web.I doubt most parents would have the site blocked. the potato canon is even available commercially so it is not a pipe bomb.I would never give instructions to build a pipe bomb.The combustable I mentioned would not be available for minors to buy.Fallow Earth mentioned the other 2.Which might be a household item.Black powder is also not sold to minors.Although I was shooting a .22 rifle when I was 6 years old.I guess people taught about guns early have a different perspective.

i just think u guys went a step beyond the bank...a little close to the edge...almost fell in...on this one

just because they may already know about it doesn't make it right for a bunch of 'adults' give them directions to where exactly they can go to find out how blow their face off or catch something on fire...this was not appropriate...period!!...not to mention illegal in some place i'm sure

I think you might be overreacting...........  I think if you read the whole part of this thread on the subject, it is being talked about in an appropriate way.  No one is advocating it for children, no one even mentioned children until now.  I think parents need to be a bit more in the forefront of their childrens lives.  I, as was Cholla, shooting firearms at a young age.  To teach and to learn about something, instead of banning it, is a better alternative. 

Its not a pipe bomb, Tdawnaz. Fired a few myself, back when I was a kid. I don't think we need to worry that we're informing the youth of today about anything new. I think the youth of today are far more advanced in finding information on far worse stuff than potato cannons..

cak46: i just checked with a friend...the way this is put together...the potential for mishap, if it's put together wrong...it IS considered a pipe bomb especially if someone gets hurt

I think you might be overreacting........... I think if you read the whole part of this thread on the subject, it is being talked about in an appropriate way. No one is advocating it for children, no one even mentioned children until now. I think parents need to be a bit more in the forefront of their childrens lives. I, as was Cholla, shooting firearms at a young age. To teach and to learn about something, instead of banning it, is a better alternative.

cak46: not overreacting at all...i've seen what can happen (several times)...i have read the thread...and at this point in this thread is not where we start teachin people how to be parents, or teachin kids how to handle firearms or explosives...or decide what should or shouldn't be banned...this just got too graphic

tdawnaz $ cak46: I would explain the difference in this & a pipe bomb but that would require a lot more on what a pipe bomb is.So I won't Anything assembled wrong can be dangerous.If a child starts bring home PVC pipe & starts building something with it The parents should ask some questions.Basically the potato acts as a saftey valve.It is dangerous if someone is in front of it.There are pneumatis potato cannons as well .they use compressed air.

cak46: i just checked with a friend...the way this is put together...the potential for mishap, if it's put together wrong...it IS considered a pipe bomb especially if someone gets hurt

So if someone gets hurt, its a pipe bomb but if they don't, it isn't?  I would define a pipe bomb as an item(no description) built specifically and with the intention to inflict harm.  Potato cannon just doesn't fit that definition. 

Should it be constructed with adult supervision, yes.  My Dad helped out with ours.  That goes back to the learning not banning statement in my prior post.

Edit: spelling issue

cak46: not overreacting at all...i've seen what can happen (several times)...i have read the thread...and at this point in this thread is not where we start teachin people how to be parents, or teachin kids how to handle firearms or explosives...or decide what should or shouldn't be banned...this just got too graphic

How did it get graphic?

cak46 and cholla and fallowearth (sorry if i spelled that wrong...going from memory...hehe)...welllll...i was just thinkin of your safety...ya know...didn't want you guys pokin an eye out or something...ya know i lost my tongue with one of those...darn near lost my nose too, if wasn't for my safety glasses holdin it on...i'm sure you guys know what's best tho...i'm a mother it's my job to worry :D

peepnklown: hunny oh my gosh...you have lost so much...how do you deal with it all...i'm here for you, in anyway i can help...you know that, i'm sure...you must be a very strong person to have been thru so much  ;)

tdawnaz: Well you should have just said you were worried we would blow something off.We do appreciate your concern. I will take the steps to do it as safely as possible.I haven't even got any of the materials yet & I have already figured out a safe way to ignite the fuel mixture in the canon .Not with the igniter they suggest.The way I will do it at least to test its safety will allow me to do it at a distance.

I'm going to put in this warning:PARENTS DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN BUILD OR USE A POTATO CANON WITHOUT YOUR SUPERVISION.If your children bring home PVC  or metal pipe & fittings find out what they are up to.Monitor the sites they visit on the web.

cak46 and cholla and fallowearth (sorry if i spelled that wrong...going from memory...hehe)...welllll...i was just thinkin of your safety...ya know...didn't want you guys pokin an eye out or something...ya know i lost my tongue with one of those...darn near lost my nose too, if wasn't for my safety glasses holdin it on...i'm sure you guys know what's best tho...i'm a mother it's my job to worry :D

peepnklown: hunny oh my gosh...you have lost so much...how do you deal with it all...i'm here for you, in anyway i can help...you know that, i'm sure...you must be a very strong person to have been thru so much  ;)

Yeah... I can understand that (kind of anyway.... not being a mother and all) ;)  Thanks for the worry, though.  Haven't had anyone (except family of course) do that for quite a long time.