bandwidth controller ?

hazim

I have internet service -sharing type---can I use bandwidth controller ( h/w or s/w ) to arrange and divide it to many computers ? what are the conditions to do that ,it is sharing not dedicate type service ?,,,thank,,

Hazim

Guest PeePs

If i understand you correctly, I think all your looking for is a router. With a router you can divide 1 internet connection between many computers.

Guest PeePs

You can actually buy routers that enable you to control the max bandwidth that passes through each one of the 4 ports on it? I could actually use that, but I'm a cheap *** so im like 100 percent sure it would be too much for me  ;).

You can actually buy routers that enable you to control the max bandwidth that passes through each one of the 4 ports on it? I could actually use that, but I'm a cheap ass so im like 100 percent sure it would be too much for me ;).

I was kind of mistaken.  The more expensive layer 3 routers have only 1 port in and 1 or 2 ports out, depending on model.  These are mostly for backbone, high traffic usage and youm can control bandwitdh for a lan segment.  Switches are actually what you can easily control bandwidth with on a lan. Most cheaper routers you can buy have built in switches (the 4 ports your talking about) (LynkSys, etc.).  The link below is an example of a router with built in  switch including bandwidth control.  You can buy a separate switch with the control you want.  (Might save you a bit rather than replacing your router as well). 

http://www.eusso.com/Models/Router/UIS1400-BC/uis1400-bc.htm