Comcast disappointment

I have Comcast BBI in Santa Clara, CA. installed a few weeks ago; seemed slow. then the outage. Reset everything to get back online...

Now we can get a maximum of 150kbps. (Yes, that's kilobits, not Bytes). But don't take my word for it, look up my comp id:

We've replaced the coax, the Cat 5, tried with and without the router on our two mac OS X machines and two Win2k Machines, tried booting off a fresh install of each OS, switched out the new caqble modem for the one we were using before we moved (we were only a block away before) and still no change.

Comcast started a trouble ticket, but of course nothing's been done in the past three days, because after several hours on the phone with them, they insist that my ping and traceroute times are low enough that "no problem is indicated".

What next? They're coming over tomorrow to "take a look", but if they send the same boneheaded installer who initially came over to unbox the modem and plug it in (thanks for the "technician" install visit, Comcast!) I know he'll say everything is hunky-dory, the leave and charge us $45.00.

What the hell? This isn't a matter of broadband optimization; we are getting less than 2% of the advertised speed, but latencies on the line are within the norms. Any ideas out there?

whats amplified? i might need that. i got the 6000/768 plan. download i get around 3000 to 4500 and upload is very good getting around 730 to 750

I have no clue what that is, I guess they just clear up your lines so u get a better signal, but all I know is they changed something in my lines outside my house.

I have Comcast BBI in Santa Clara, CA. installed a few weeks ago; seemed slow. then the outage. Reset everything to get back online...

Now we can get a maximum of 150kbps. (Yes, that's kilobits, not Bytes). But don't take my word for it, look up my comp id:

We've replaced the coax, the Cat 5, tried with and without the router on our two mac OS X machines and two Win2k Machines, tried booting off a fresh install of each OS, switched out the new caqble modem for the one we were using before we moved (we were only a block away before) and still no change.

Comcast started a trouble ticket, but of course nothing's been done in the past three days, because after several hours on the phone with them, they insist that my ping and traceroute times are low enough that "no problem is indicated".

What next? They're coming over tomorrow to "take a look", but if they send the same boneheaded installer who initially came over to unbox the modem and plug it in (thanks for the "technician" install visit, Comcast!) I know he'll say everything is hunky-dory, the leave and charge us $45.00.

What the hell? This isn't a matter of broadband optimization; we are getting less than 2% of the advertised speed, but latencies on the line are within the norms. Any ideas out there?

That's EXACTLY the problem I have right now, and I live somewhere near you in Palo Alto (I think that's near?)!!! I've called Comcast quite a bit about this, and I got the number of their regional supervisor, so I grill him every now and then on when it's gonna be fixed... he's calling in a tech over any minute now, and I ain't gonna let him leave till it's fixed, hehe.

The supervisor said they are having local problems right now, and that the problem is only affecting certain MAC addresses, and that there's a fix that they know of. He said changing the router's MAC address and having it grab a new IP will fix it, but I tried that and it didn't grab a new IP. So hopefully the tech who he said knows the fix better than he does is coming and will put an end to this.

Good news!!! We got a "bandaid fix"! The supervisor himself came over to oversee the problem, and we called the tech with the solution, and that fixed the problem. If you have a router, specifically a Linksys one, I could give the fix to you.

The speeds have gone from 150kbit to 3.1mbit!  :haha: