Can you make Direcway faster?

tukuemuaca

I've had Direcway 2-way for about a year. Download speeds are fine, about 120-140KB. Upload is about 40 kbps. This is not really the problem.

The problem is with sites that required a large amount of communication (handshaking if you will) with these sites, the latency between earth and the satellite makes the site load about like a wired modem, or in some cases EVEN SLOWER.

Is there any way around this?

BTW, I am in an area that has no service for any broadband connection.

Larry

Nope :evil: ... the problem with satellite is latency... and there is no way to make your ping better. This is why people with satellite connections don't play online games :? ~~ for what it's worth... I feel for you bro, and you will be in my broadband prayors... one day there will be a nice pipe to your home... ... one day. :twisted: --- and as you said, it is because the data has to go MANY miles through the atmosphere and THEN go back, that takes much more time than going over a network that has all of the long runs done in fiber ~~

you are transmitting to a satellite well over 22,500 miles away. round trip 90,000 miles. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, 300 million meters per second and even at that rate of speed the delay (latency) is going to add up. Sad but true... and there is nothing to fix it :(

By the way, that is also why satellite providers compress data before it is sent to you.. to sort of offset the latency issue. TestMy.net has compressed data packs so when you are testing from here you will at least know that you are testing from packets that are 99% compressed (I mean, when building the test I compressed data.. then compressed the compressed data and so on.. to make sure that no mater what the test would be accurate) so if you are testing from here, you will be testing at your actual line speed (not what your provider wants you to think you are running at :wink: )

{{{{{{{ ~~~ a lot of other speed test sites use images that are only partially compressed.. or not at all which to you satellite folk will result in great inaccuracy (look like you are much faster)... not good, and all lies :-D }}}}}}}}

- CA3LE 8)

• 2 months later...

I've been on Direcway thru Pegasus and now Earthlink for over 2 1/2 years now, and my speeds down are among the top 10% of posters on DSLR satellite forum. See here:

http://www.dslreports.com/archive/direcpc.com?r=336

If I may take the liberty of some suggestions, here's a few:

1.) Keep your computer clean of unnecessary programs.

2.) Clean up your start up menu to keep unnecessary programs from loading.

3.) Go here: http://www.tweakmaster.com/ and download a free 30 day trial of Tweakmaster Pro. This is a program made by Hagel Technologies, the same people that make DU Meter.

4.) Download and use DRTCP.

Here are my drtcp settings:

settings.jpg

Good luck,

Larry

Edit: Oh, by the way, here is test done a few minutes ago on TestMynet:

::: Download Stats :::

Connection is: 2515 Kbps about 2.5 Mbps (tested with 1013 KB)

Download Speed is: 307 KB/sec

Auth Code: 2037726 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 45 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 3.34 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&num=2037726&kbps=2515&gen=gen&a=7.42857142857143&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

cool Thank you,

Like everything else on the net as that software says one size does not fit all. I happen to use TCP Opt... although I don't think one is better than the other its just TCP Optimizer works easier and better for me.I have a friend who swears by DR TCP. In any case you did the most important thing and shared the info for other "tweakers" and thats a cool thing.If you enjoyed the site come back and tell your friends, our thanks goes to the man who did all the work for this site< ca3le guy headbang headbang

8) Microwave

wmlarry Im confused by that MTU value that you set in Drtcp, 1460 seems to me like a mss (maximum segment size) value and not a mtu (maximum transfer unit) value. I suggest you use my tweak guide to find your mtu so you can get a rwin thats multible with your mss.

http://www.testmy.net/forumz/viewtopic.php?t=99

ps: run this tweaktest at dslreports 1st, it will check your up and down mtu.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

good luck :)

Thanks for the welcome. I am not a tech person, but learned 2 1/2 years ago that tweaktester does not work for satellite.

FAQ # 1733:

Q: Satellite Connections: Adjustments won't take! (#1733)

A: At this time, the tweak tester does not work for satellite connections. Since these systems use Network Address Translation (NAT), the IP address used by the tweak tester to find your computer's TCP settings is actually not reading your computer at all. It is reading the computer at the Network Operations Center that is providing the NAT services. This doesn't mean that the changes you made with DrTcp didn't take. It just means the tweak tester cannot detect the changes.

) VanBuren + wmlarry,

Hi when I saw that MTU# I thought the same thing until I saw it was satellite, then I realized all bets are off so to speak.As ca3le guy has pointed out in other post satellite has a latency issue that must be addressed somehow,hence some settings are much different than broadband or dial up.Anyway glad to see old and new friends posting at what I think is the best test site on the net no matter what your connection may be.This stuff is just way cool!!

8) microwave

PS If I remember correctly the 1460 to 1500 difference is to address the header issue,if thats not right maybe someone will "school" me...

) VanBuren + wmlarry,

Hi when I saw that MTU# I thought the same thing until I saw it was satellite, then I realized all bets are off so to speak.As ca3le guy has pointed out in other post satellite has a latency issue that must be addressed somehow,hence some settings are much different than broadband or dial up.Anyway glad to see old and new friends posting at what I think is the best test site on the net no matter what your connection may be.This stuff is just way cool!!

8) microwave

PS If I remember correctly the 1460 to 1500 difference is to address the header issue,if thats not right maybe someone will "school" me...

Microwave :)

you got that right, the diffrense between mtu and mss is the overhead.

MSS is the real amount of data you can send/receive at any given time over your connection medium. MSS is a calculated number from MTU (Max Transfer Unit). Most of the time it is calculated by MTU-40=MSS. Some configurations may not fit this forumla though so you can visit the Speedguide.net TCP/IP analyzer to get your correct MSS size.

Some common MSS sizes are:

Ethernet: 1460 (1500-40)

Cable: 1460 (1500-40)

aDSL: 1452 (1492-40)

Dialup: 536 (576-40)

VanBuren :)

Microwave :)

you got that right, the diffrense between mtu and mss is the overhead.

MSS is the real amount of data you can send/receive at any given time over your connection medium. MSS is a calculated number from MTU (Max Transfer Unit). Most of the time it is calculated by MTU-40=MSS. Some configurations may not fit this forumla though so you can visit the Speedguide.net TCP/IP analyzer to get your correct MSS size.

Some common MSS sizes are:

Ethernet: 1460 (1500-40)

Cable: 1460 (1500-40)

aDSL: 1452 (1492-40)

Dialup: 536 (576-40)

VanBuren :)

Sorry guys, but as I said before, I'm not a tech person. I use the 1460 mtu because it "seems" just a hair faster than 1500.

With satellite, my download speeds can vary by 200 to 300 kbps from one test to the next, so it's hard to get an accurate read.

I only posted here trying to help the author of this thread, but he/she seems to have moved on.

Thanks for the great test site.......... I'll go back in my corner and lurk now.

Speakeasy wdc

2004-01-15 07:27:01 EST: 2261 / 41

Your download speed : 2261414 bps, or 2261 kbps.

A 276 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 41365 bps, or 41 kbps

Speakeasy nyc

2004-01-15 07:32:29 EST: 2284 / 44

Your download speed : 2284489 bps, or 2284 kbps.

A 278.8 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 44395 bps, or 44 kbps

Speakeasy atl

2004-01-15 07:31:02 EST: 2265 / 44

Your download speed : 2265227 bps, or 2265 kbps.

A 276.5 KB/sec transfer rate.

Connection is: 2749 Kbps about 2.7 Mbps (tested with 1013 KB)

Download Speed is: 336 KB/sec

Auth Code: 2041236 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 49 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 3.05 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&num=2041236&kbps=2749&gen=gen&a=8.57142857142857&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

Best regards,

Larry

Sorry guys, but as I said before, I'm not a tech person. I use the 1460 mtu because it "seems" just a hair faster than 1500.

With satellite, my download speeds can vary by 200 to 300 kbps from one test to the next, so it's hard to get an accurate read.

I only posted here trying to help the author of this thread, but he/she seems to have moved on.

Thanks for the great test site.......... I'll go back in my corner and lurk now.

Speakeasy wdc

2004-01-15 07:27:01 EST: 2261 / 41

Your download speed : 2261414 bps, or 2261 kbps.

A 276 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 41365 bps, or 41 kbps

Speakeasy nyc

2004-01-15 07:32:29 EST: 2284 / 44

Your download speed : 2284489 bps, or 2284 kbps.

A 278.8 KB/sec transfer rate.

Speakeasy atl

2004-01-15 07:31:02 EST: 2265 / 44

Your download speed : 2265227 bps, or 2265 kbps.

A 276.5 KB/sec transfer rate.

Connection is: 2749 Kbps about 2.7 Mbps (tested with 1013 KB)

Download Speed is: 336 KB/sec

Auth Code: 2041236 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 49 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 3.05 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&num=2041236&kbps=2749&gen=gen&a=8.57142857142857&b=0&c=1145.14285714286

Best regards,

Larry

) wmlarry,

You cant argue with success and if your PC is running at your optimum speeds etc weather the settings are "right" or "wrong" doesn't really matter much,as long as your happy. I agree with your suggestions on your prior post.Oh BTW I think your speeds a pretty good with satellite.

8) microwave

PS Dont go lurking we enjoy your company,and you are always welcome here, ca3le guy is the only expert.Keep visiting and posting and tell your friends to visit.Your ideas do matter,the free exchange of ideas is only one of the concepts that make this the best site on the net......

) wmlarry,

You cant argue with success and if your PC is running at your optimum speeds etc weather the settings are "right" or "wrong" doesn't really matter much,as long as your happy. I agree with your suggestions on your prior post.Oh BTW I think your speeds a pretty good with satellite.

8) microwave

PS Dont go lurking we enjoy your company,and you are always welcome here, ca3le guy is the only expert.Keep visiting and posting and tell your friends to visit.Your ideas do matter,the free exchange of ideas is only one of the concepts that make this the best site on the net......