PCX 2000 modem

Guest philp

Guest philp

Anyone using this Toshiba modem and having problems? I've had mine for 15 months and recently have had a couple of shut downs. Cable light flashing slowly and no connection to the 'Net. The side (or bottom, depending on how you place it) also seems to be too warm when it happens. After a while I can reconnect and the unit is noticeably less warm.

It came free with the free installation but if I need to replace it, can anyone suggest a good one?

hey Philip....who is your ISP, and in what geographic region are you located?  Modems will get hot if there is not enough room for proper ventilation, and that may cause connectivity issues....but that is a good modem and shouldn't be losing bloc syncs or dropping connection too often

Guest philp

It's Earthlink & I'm in SE Texas. Modem has good ventilation, BTW. The cable light on it flashes slowly when the problem happens. I've got a service call scheduled for Wednesday but if I have to buy a new modem, I want to get a good one.

It's Earthlink & I'm in SE Texas. Modem has good ventilation, BTW. The cable light on it flashes slowly when the problem happens. I've got a service call scheduled for Wednesday but if I have to buy a new modem, I want to get a good one.

I'd say you can't go wrong with the Motorola SB5100.

I see very few problems with these modems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825122104

sounds like it could be a modem issue, or possibly outside lines...either way, ISP should hook you up righteous

Guest philp

Time Warner is the actual "provider". But the same 5000/384 package from RoadRunner is $3 a month more and that's only if I subscribe to Time Warner digital cable too. Not real sure I understand that.  :roll:

Guest philp

It was Time Warner that supplied everything, including the installation. And the monthly bill.  :shock:

Anyway, it seems to be their problem and not the modem. Reason I say that now is because it's working fine again. Yesterday morning it did the same thing between roughly the same hours, 8:30 A.M. and 10:30 A.M. Before and after those times it worked (and is working) just fine.

I just spent 25 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone about it, but got tired and hung up. I'll try again later.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Phil

Here (N. West Louisiana) RoadRunner is the provider for Earth Link, they just changed out the city to the 5100 blk Moto modem. Sweet little modem. $41 vs $45 for RR, 5000/384.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4870 Kbps about 4.9 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 595 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Wed May 18 2005 18:40:46 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 87X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.72 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 27.29 % faster than the average for host (mindspring.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XN4AK739P