Got Dway installed Friday...Why so slow?

SK

:cry: I got installed Friday.  I am not browsing much faster than dial-up.  I have a 466MHz 128RAM Windows 2000NT Pro.

Is my PC just too slow or is it the Dway connection.  My signal strength is 80.  So much for blazing speed!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 632 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 77 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Tue May 17 16:54:08 MDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB download in 13.3 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 75.87 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-19KN534WC

to start you really should have 256 ram  but make sure you have your connections settings correct

tools internet options lan settings advanced  in http proxy settings have 192.168.0.1  then in the port have 87    and exceptions  www.direcwaysupport.com;192.168.0.*  then check both boxes after you close that out click both proxy serers boxes. that should get you 200-300 more speed

Hello SK and welcome to the forum. Have you defraged your system since getting direcway? If not do that. You can try TCP Optimizer. It works for some people. Also make sure you are spyware and virus free. Remember that the time of day you took your test was at peak time. Most everyones speed will be slower during peak times.

Welcome SK.  I've been on DW since late march.  Couple things.  What browser are you using?  IE gives the best speed (by a couple hundred Kbs)  Don't  know why.  You have good signal strength and that will help when it rains etc.  More memory will indeed help you out.  Make sure you have the proxy settings set as was described above.  I'm on an older system as well with win 2000 and the DW6000 and my speeds are consistently right at 1 meg down.  Even with early tweak-needing etc., my 30 day average is 950K.  OK, not cable speed, but WAY better than the 28k dial-up I had before.

Have fun,

Jim P

To get the most out of Direcway make sure you do the following.

Defrag your hard drive and keep it that way, 1% or less is the target

Clean your system (includes cleaning your registry, eliminating spyware and viruses)

Apply any operating system tweaks you can find that you are comfortable applying

Set up browser proxy as mentioned

Tweaking your tcp settings can help.

;)Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have defraged, cleared my cache, disk cleanup, ran spybot, changed proxy settings and downloaded TCP.  I seem to be faster now.  Hopefully it will contunue.  I used to connect through dial-up at 16.8Kbps with a 56K modem installed.  I don't even have fiber optic lines to the house.  I hope for 59.99 a month this will be worth it.  I mainly browse using IE, I don't do much downloading.  Thanks again for all your help!!!

SK 

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 998 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 122 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Wed May 18 07:46:26 MDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.39 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 19.95 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-D746NKZ5M

I got dw 4000 about 4 years ago and got 2500 down and 1500 up.

now i get 500 down and according to testmy.net upload is 1 kbs and dls reports says 6 kbs. up.

talked to dw and they tell me they have to go buy mydirecway reports, which is 60 up.

They over sold the market.

If you take a 100000 cars and put on 2 lane interstae what do you get.

When my contract is up in august i will go back to dialup.

But in the next few years you will see wireless and that should just neary put direcway out of buisness.

More like disappointed.....I was expecting what they advertised.  I would be happy with a 128kbs down and 6-9kbs up. 

When it works it beats dial up.....especially when I need to update a program!  The upload speed of 6-9kbs is two to three times that of my best dial up connection.....so I can't complain about that, it is what I signed up for.....it the intermittent, inconsistent download speeds that get me worked up. Dway promised that the average download speed would be 1meg (128kbs, better during low usage times....

I guess once I have everything dialed in, it will be fine.....but I will look here first for help before ever calling the service department!

Buzz