ONE day!

Guest aerodude

um... actually... nothing that i know of goes faster than the speed of light ;)

Right, but light speed at this point has not much affect on satellite connections. Actually latency is just the lag from one site to the other. Once the data stream is smooth and unbroken a real time second late won't mean much. In our case larger packets and unbroken data streams can render satellite much faster than cable. Some of my upload tests capped at 600 were a good example. Uncapped, who knows how fast satellite could be

The downside is for example, if Sparky was trying to get an E-Bay page open and my unbroken data stream wouldn't let him in than he's unhappy.

Latency ONLY affects satellite performance when changing from one data stream to another. Other than that it's just a second or so loss in real time and would not be noticeable by the average user. What we DW users see is the break in data streams and latency to instruct the NOC server to complete the connection of our data.

Guest wmmc

Latency is everything.

Actually satellite is capable of more, but with sharing and overcrowding it slows it, may not what the topic was about at the beginning, but would be noticeably faster.

Latency is everything.

Actually satellite is capable of more, but with sharing and overcrowding it slows it, may not what the topic was about at the beginning, but would be noticeably faster.

If you watched a 7700 operate for a while you wouldn't be obsessed with latency.... ;)

Guest wmmc

If you watched a 7700 operate for a while you wouldn't be obsessed with latency.... ;)

Who's obsessed with latency, not me :lol:, all I do is surf, get email, download some files/games, update my web site(download backups, upload restore if necessary), never played online games since using the net back in 1995.

DW7700 is geared towards enterprise level service isn't it.

You will get latency with anything that has to travel 40,000 miles round trip, I cant see the 7700 being any different, seeing as it uses satelitte as well. A phone call from here to England has latency, because of the distance and the way it gets there, but the question is, who has seen a 7700 running?