Question about networking...

Gusted

I recently bought the modem/wireless router combo that Verizon was offering... I am a computer on the network and have noticed that my signal strength goes from very good to low and my speed 54.0 - 5.5mbps.  I also have been experiencing frequent disconnects (like once every 25-30 minutes).  Oddly enough though my browsing speed does not drop even with this extremely low signal/speed.  Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

Also:

::::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1503 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 183 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sun May 22 2005 00:38:29 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 27X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5.6 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 48.58 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-98QJS0D1V

I have never seen my computer  (or any on this network) run dsl  higher then 75% of my hosts average.  Is there anything I can do for this?

hey Gusted

What you can try, if your PC has a NIC, is to hard-wire into your modem and see if there is a connection speed difference.

As for maxing your connections, follow the link below!

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

V

wireless is normaly slower that wired

so u wont get as much if u plug in the cable in the back of ur pc rather then a wireless connection

what make and model of ur wireless is?

wireless connection can be interfered by many thing

watter pipes. microwaves working, stuff like that

If your wireless is 802.11b, there are many things that can interfere, since it has a frequency range 2.400 GHz to 2.4835 GHz, the same as cordless phones and other household junk.  Not to mention it can get mixed signals from other wireless networks on the same frequency if anyone nearby has the same idea as you.  There are really almost too many elements to figure out, and for the convenience of having the freedom of a wireless connection, its probably not worth it if your speeds suffer.  Get wired and notice the difference.

You don't say what speed package you have. You posted test shows you to be on the money for the 1500/384 package. ;)  At the bottom where it says "48.58 % of your hosts average (verizon.net) " that's in comparison to the folks with 3000/768 like me.So don't be misguided. If you are on the 3000/768 then further exploration is required. Your geographic location can also make a huge difference on speed tests. Trying to speed test half way across the continent  just doesn't work. This site is in Texas and if your on on one of the Coasts, forget any reliable results from  it. They do offer some mirror test sites, try the ones closest to you.. As mentioned above the Wireless b/g world is the FCCs Part 15 unlicensed Wild West. All sorts of things operate there and inference is possible if not likely, and " must be accepted ". Wired networking is faster, more secure, and reliable. HTH