SPAM!

I receive several email accounts with by dway connection. But my gosh, The SPAM from my DirecWay account is unbelievable!! Over 100 per day!

I think if I were you I would run a FEW spyware and ad ware programs.....maybe even an antivirus just for the hell of it... :evil6:

3.5 yrs with Dway....not more than 5 Emails from them.. :haha:

VIRUS ALERT!

A virus is circulating around the internet generating large amounts of spam emails. Trojan.Ascetic.C is a mass-mailing worm that sends spam to email addresses gathered from the compromised computer. These emails may be in either English or German. Make sure you have updated the virus definitions for your virus scanner(s). Also, do not open and immediately delete any email you receive from unknown sources or with unfamiliar subject lines.

I went out of town for three days and came backs to almost 600 spams. Checking the progrss window in outlook. They  all came from the directway account. i don't  even use that account. just have to have it to make the others work!

I went out of town for three days and came backs to almost 600 spams. Checking the progrss window in outlook. They all came from the DirecWay account. i don't even use that account. just have to have it to make the others work!

i had to fix this with my cox email before they set up their spam protection (which still basically doesn't work) ...so i'll share what i know...if you're using outlook or outlook express i think you can un-check the box for that account that says something like "include this account when sending or receiving email" and there is another box in the advanced section of your accounts section in outlook that give you the option of deleting the emails off the server...hmmm,,,maybe you can't do that if you're not receiving them...you can also set it where if the sender isn't in your address book it goes to the trash...of other message rules

It was easy to find it under OE. I had just done that on my wifes account  when I read this. I found it under options/send and receive in the Outlokk tools. I unchecked the boxes to receive in both. I also change the email identity to the accounts i use because I noticed that replied to emails were going to the direcway box. Now I will ereceive No email from direcway but will be able to send them out on it.

95 e-mails, 2 real ones and 93 spams from 10am this morning to 6pm tonight.  I've been watching G-Lock hit one at least every 15 minutes.  DirecWay, hello, spam filter @ the ISP, hello.  DWay meet Postini, Postini meet DWay.  This has got to start effecting throughput of their system soon.

No guys.  The emails are to "multiple names" all @DirecWay.com.  They must be using a name generator and running down the alphabet.  Andrews is kinda near the top.  I've been using Microsoft Antipsyware for a few months now.  AntiVirus says I'm clean.  I saw this on my dialup ISP.  The spamers were using random names, or actually hacked into the ISP and got it.  That ISP installed Postini, and nailed about 95% of the spam.

I know none of these people, but we're all getting solicited for low interest mortages.

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

Note: I added the .no.spam. to thart any e-mail scan bots.

edit: for privacy protection

"I have yet to get spam on my DW email account.  But it's only 3 months old.  By the way....Outlook = SPAM.  Coudn't pay me to use it.  It is the defacto web client for all hackers to focus on."

I would have to say I agree in part I wouldn't rely upon using Oulook or Oulook Express of any version since it's only a big old security nightmare waiting to resurfis time after time and is a big target for worms and viruses and other malware and hacker/crackers to exploit.  Many of the smarter government agencies and security savvy companies have stopped using it do to the overwhelming number of security issues it has and will create and worm writters for explain have be looking to spread through outlook for many years and have been quite successful in doing so most of the time.  It maybe currently safer than it used to be by far but it is still a big target and weakly set up for safety by default.  Enjoy it if you like using it but many who haven't already may one day get burned.  Personally I wouldn't use it if you paid me.  :haha::-P:evil6:  To say I think this piece of M$ softwre is crap would be a severve understatement.  :lol::haha:  No offense if this is anyones choice of mail client...  ;)  :confused2:  Be safe.

Peace,

Azag

That is the truth, outlook is a bad security magnet.

Been using outlook for many years now and still working fine for me. Just don't open any emails you don't ask for, simple as that. I only get about 3 or 4 spam messages a week. That is through my company email address. My DW address has yet to get any spam, I don't give it out on sites either, that is what hotmail is for.

I've received a few virus laden e-mails lately. So I've done some research and asked a few questions. Here's an answer I received:

"The virus-laden emails are almost certainly coming from someone else's system, not yours. This type of infection, which exclusively infests Windows systems, uses a technique known as "spoofing," by which the virus or worm randomly selects an email address it finds on an infected computer. The virus/worm uses this address as the "From" address when it performs its mass-mailing routine rather than using the real email address of the user of the infected system. If your address happens to be the one randomly chosen, then anyone receiving one of these emails sees your email address as the apparent sender. In addition, if any messages bounce back (either because the address is no longer valid or the mail server finds the virus and rejects the message), you get hit with the bounce rather than the actual (unknowing) sender, even though the messages didn't come from your system and may be from addresses you've never heard of.

Here's an example; Jane is using a computer infected with a Windows email virus or worm. Jane is either not using an antivirus program or does not have current virus definitions. When the virus/worm activates and runs, it randomly searches the Windows address book and finds the email address of Bill. The worm inserts Bill's email address into the "From" portion of an infected message, which it then sends to Janet. Janet then contacts Bill and complains that he sent her an infected message. When Bill scans his computer, the virus checker does not find anything, because his computer is not infected.

There's really nothing you can do since the emails aren't coming from you. All you can do is notify all your friends and colleagues who have Windows systems and who would know your email address and get them to update their antivirus protection."

I have McAfee spam blocker, no spam problems with outlook 2003....You have some kind of ad or keystroke software problems, or a virus....spend a few bucks on some good software and you will have little to no spam and peace of mind!  McAfee security suite 7.0 handles all of my needs, Google takes care of my pop-up needs......I think if you run  the software suggested by almost everyone who read this post, your problem should go away.

Buzz