Computer help

Marcin541

If i have a firewall installed on 1 computer, and i use home networking to connect the other to the internet, is it necessary that i install it on both? Basically home network is like this, if i have an ip address of 1.2.3.4, and my main computer is on, my other computer will use the same exact ip. So if someone lets say tried to access my pc they need to go through computer #1 first which should block it right? The second one shouldn't get attacked if the first one blocked the attack already, am i correct?

Second, when i do have the home network set up, if i try to run a server (lets say apache) I cannot access my site from anywhere. If my ip is 1.2.3.4, and i open apache on port 75 (my isp blocks port 80) on my first computer, i can access it fine, if i open it with same port on computer #2, nobody can access. Is there a way to forward it so that it tries to connect to computer #2 instead of #1?

Thanks

Not using router

Im using ICS because i need to connect both pcs through LAN to share files on the network. Me connecting through a router would require me to buy a new NIC which i cannot do as my pc does not have anymore slots.

EDIT : Host pc has XP and client has 2000; the guide applies to 98 and ME

Sorry about the double post, but if you are running xp then this might help with your question on firewalling.  You should only need to firewall the host computer, according to microsoft.  Hope this helps!

Excerpted from the following link:  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/topology.mspx

A host computer is a computer running Windows XP that is connected to both the Internet and the internal network. The host computer acts as a gateway, providing connectivity between Internet and internal network hosts, and a firewall, providing protection from Internet attacks for the host computer and internal network computers.

Figure 7 shows an example of using a host computer when the internal network is using a single Ethernet LAN segment.

Figure 7: Using a Host Computer

Figure 7: Using a Host Computer

See full-sized image.

You can also use a host computer when the internal network is using phoneline, wireless, or a mixture of media.

The host computer is running Windows XP with the following features:

Not using router

Im using ICS because i need to connect both pcs through LAN to share files on the network. Me connecting through a router would require me to buy a new NIC which i cannot do as my pc does not have anymore slots.

EDIT : Host pc has XP and client has 2000; the guide applies to 98 and ME

This is specifically for forwarding a port for vpn'ing with PPTP, thus the only step I would question is step 4 (dealing with vpn).

Might need to experiment with it a bit, but I think this is on the right track for what you're looking for......

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309524