What website should i ping when using this Method?

RaWDiZ

On this page https://testmy.net/forum/t-2097 it say on #16 that i should use a latency between 150ms and 300... Does he mean  pick 150 or 300 for my latency... Or ping a site that will give me a latency between 150 and 300?

its a approximation, so you can test any value you want, even 150 or 300 aswell....

VanBuren :)

RaWDiZ : If you are interested in the method you asked about first try PMing Orignal_Cronicus he also has an e-mail address in his member profile.I don't know if it is a good address of fake one I haven't tried to use his method for RWIN.

Try this for setting your RWIN first do the TCP/IP analyzer test at the following site to determine your RWIN.

RaWDiZ: All of the RWIN's in the list in my post will give you an Unscaled Receive Window  of 64240 with windows

scaling enabled.For mine I use 128480 like in the post but unscaled it is 64240.That means if I understand scaling is if all the RWIN I need to load a web page or any data is 64240 or less then it uses the unscaled RWIN.If windows needs more RWIN then it starts scaling up to 128480.If you need it to be even larger you use the 256960 or 513920 I don't think you will need to go higher or even that large.If your OS is fastest at 513920 then you can go higher by continueing to add

64240 .I think this is correct you might hav to add128480 each time.the test at speed guide will tell you its right by the unscaled RWIN staying at 64240.I think the largest possible that will scale to 64240 is 65781760.After that it doesn't scale right.I don't know why But I did that playing around you would never need a RWIN that large.

Alright I'm a lil lost.... I really need u 2 help me though... My package is 256/128 and i have already made my cablenut settings at j79zlr's website just trying to find my perfect RWIN... EASILY... So if u could break it down it would help alot...

That is wat i'm using it's just me and cholla are pm each other trying to find the perfect RWIN for my connection...

that page calculate your "RWIN", just test diffrent latency......

its very hard to find the right latency, thats why i recommend you to test a value equal/between 150 and 300 ms

anyways here is a guide i made once

http://www.luwigie.com/tweaks/FAQxp2000.pdf

Since cablenut won't let me do it... How do i chang my MTU to 1500 and MSS to 1460... and I'm NOT using a router,my dsl is always on... so why do i get 1492?

follow the guide i made, then you will get the right MTU....

your modem might act as router aswell

RaWDiZ : I thought if I put them all here you could decide on the correct one for your connection & OS.

Start with the next to the smallest & work up until the larger RWIN slows your performance then go back to

the next smaller one.I don't think you will need anything above the largest RWIN here.

You have to have scaling enabled for everything but the smallest RWIN value in each list.

These are the suggested RWIN's from the speedguide.net Tcp/IP analyzer

The first one is for PPPoE with 1492=MTU 1452=MSS

511104 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

255552 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

127776 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

63888 (MSS x 44)

The second one is for other broadband 1500=MTU 1460=MSS

513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

64240 (MSS x 44)

The third is for PPPoE using XP & without a router. 1480=MTU 1440=MSS