Upload good but my download sucks

Guest Steve

What the h*ll is wrong with my download. I get like 2500kbs in afternoon but this in the evening. Upload stays same.

::: Download Stats :::

Connection is: 321 kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 772 KB)

Download Speed is: 39 Kb/sec

Auth Code: 2004816 (validate a http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 6 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 26 second(s)

::: Upload Stats :::

Connection is: 1016 kbps about 1 Mbps

Upload Speed is: 124 Kb/sec

Auth Code: 265241 (Validate at http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 30 times faster than 56K, you can upload 1MB in 8 second(s)

Sorry, but that usually means that there are A LOT of people in your area on cable modem... that is when cable modem traffic jams occur. Don't worry every system has that problem when too many people get on, but cable comapnies expand their network over time to suit the excess traffic. Try crying to your provider... if they get enough complants they might hurry up the process ... who is your provider???

depends upon who did the install... if you are in an apartment complex it is quite common for you to share a line off a tap. Actually the tap that the line comes off of is a splitter itself :) ~~~ all a cable system is is a system of splitters and amps. But when you split you lose signal ~~ 3.5 DBmv off each spilt ~~ if it is a three way, that is basically two two way splitters put together so on each leg you will lose 7 on the first leg, 7 on the 2nd leg and 3.5 on the last leg ... go ahead and draw it up ... a two way splitter with another two way on one of the legs of the first .. getting complex yet .. hope not... well, anyway... sometimes at the end of a tap there is too much signal .. and modems hate to have too much signal (and signal strength does NOT play into how fast you will run by the way ~~ quality of signal will effect that ~~ unless your signal is far too high or far too low ~~ there is a happy medium) ~~ sometimes during install a tech will NEED to add a splitter sometimes even when there is nothing on the other leg ... this is to drop the signal to an operational level... there is actually a one way splitter that does this that is called a DC-6 (6DBmv drop) or a DC-9 (9DBmv drop) well the point to all of this is that if splitting had any effect on your modem it would be drastic in most cases... like a totally inoperable modem ~~ splitting does however have a huge effect on analog quality .. but something like digital cable and high speed internet (which are both digital) are either there or not there ~~~ 010100001000100010100011011011001 ~~~ or (NOTHING) ~~~ write back if any more questions that I can overly elaborate on.... ahahahaha