how can i boost my dial up speeds?

Dist

i'm on cable but one of my friends has dialup and his isp did give him a free web accelerator from the isp homepage of their site...it helps when he goes to sites but it seems like everything else is the same...i think most web accelerators for dialup don't do much of anything even the ones you buy....

I thought all a Web Accelerator was was something that compressed the data on a webpage more than normal so it got to you faster. That wouldn't actually make anything faster, just seem that way.

Could be, but many of the ones I've come acrossed reduce the resolution of images and such on the page, thus "thinning" it out making it "faster".

I don't use a web accelerator but as far as I know it compresses data.Basicly the less data loading the faster the page loads .But I want all the data so if its slower its slower. This is the same thing some dial-up ISP's offer you for an extra 5 to 10 dollars a month.They just do it with there equipment instead of yours making it seem faster.

You might not be able to make a 56K faster but you can tweak it so it does what its supposed to.I had mine a lot faster at one time then it stopped being as fast.I have no explanition except my ISP slowed my connection down.I won't post my old tests but the were faster than a 56K should go.And not cached I can do a cached test that will show to fast for testmy.

Now I get good speed for a 56K but I never got 20 times faster like Dist was asking about.

on my aunt's laptop they get connected at 50.6Kbps and it runs very well for dial-up.

they have a AMD 64 3200+, 512mb ram,  some GoLive vid card thats 64mb and thats all i remember lol, not sure on the version of the dial up port thing