PC building resource

FallowEarth

Hey all,

I really want to get into building computers and into the hardware end of things, where I have only a little experience as it is.  What I was wondering is if anybody knows some good online resources or guides or whatever that take a pretty good look into this.  Stuff like hardware compatability, cooling, overclocking, hardware technologies....i dunno, that sort of things.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Very cool...yeah I kinda want to try to start building PC's for people, work from home possibly at some point.

I have found some pretty good sites so far, but I what my concern mainly is is how you can be sure that different hardware devices are compatable, ram, motherboards, cpu's, etc.  what is the best way to tell?

thus: CRE8OR  :ar15:

I've been looking for some time now and there seems to be nearly endless info on the net about this type of thing....I was considering going to school for something along the lines, but the only courses I found were like "Introduction to Office XP" or "Email and you"...I was like, oh man what a waste of money that would be, give me the friggin software and i'll rewrite it for you or something lol....anyway my point is that I think the net is probably the best resource for computer related info.  Is there any particular sites that you frequent, CRE8OR?

the best way to do this is to just ask questions actually. for example "i'm building a PC for the first time, what processor should i get?" -- or you can be even less specific and ask "where should i start". i've noticed that people are generally willing to give out information about building PC's, unlike some other things.

thank you though, you have inspired me to write an all-inclusive guide on building a computer :D heh. i will link you when i'm done with it.

Hi FallowEarth....

I did it a little different.....What else are family and friends for ? they make perfect guinea pigs.....LOL

I started with my own PC and when I ran into something I wasn't sure about then i would hop on the NET research it through a search engine.

I still have to do that to this day sometimes....Well a lot of times ;)

But I have run into a lot sites like you are talking about along the way, same thing just do a search for something like " Building a computer" or something like that.

I started messing with PC's around "97" and since I have worked on and built appx. 1000 puters (lost count ) and I still have return customers to this day....Not free anymore :evil6:

My motto has allways been "I love hardware Hate software"

I love to CRE8 PC's ;)

so basically you have worked on a computer every 3 days LOL !

Fallow have u got any part of the pc u want to build yet?

No I do not.  I was wondering what part is best to start with: motherboard, CPU, PSU, HD, vidcard (lol)?  I get confused when I try to figure out what is compatable with what, it gets all mazy on me.

Guest helloimtim

The way I learned was building my own computer. I started with a bare bones system. Barebones system was the case, motherboard, cpu and powersupply then I added the rest. That was such a learning experience. Also allot of reading and asking questions. Allot of tec forums. Some would be my "gut feelings". For exapmple. With my computer just being built a month ago I stayed away from the 64 processor and pci slot. Both are still pretty new and I decided to wait a year or 2 before going with thoes. Newer does not always mean better. As far as overclocking I really can not recomend enough while yes learinging about it is cool dont do it. Overclocking can really screw up your computer and mostly you will never see that much of an improvement generally speaking. Just take it one step at a time. Find out what you want to learn first then go from there. Dont try to do it all at one time. Start with the motherboard and work your way up. The main thing is what you want your computer for. If its gameing I would go with amd cpu. Mother board I really really like asus mother boards. Check out www.cpusolutions.com and look at the barebones systems. Hope that helps........

I started learning about a computer when I was 12 I would watch my uncle and how he did and when I got old enough id mess things up and see if I could fix it..  Then I got into hacking and all that and got in a load of trouble so now I stick to fixing computers and online gaming.

Whatever you do, just do one thing at a time and finish it before jumping to the next thing. I built mine about a year ago and pretty much built it around my mobo. My mobo dictated what kind of chip I could get, how much RAM I could stuff in it and what kind of HD I could put in. That was my only pitfall. When I was done, I couldn't get XP loaded because there was a problem with my HD. It wasn't finding it.  I opted for the SATA HD(after reading up on it). Only thing is, my mobo had to be "flashed" with the update. I found this info on the web thank God. After that it was cake. Slapped in the new video card, loaded all the goodies, updated the drivers, then on to the soundcard, same process until I was done right through to the DVD and CDR.. Like I said, just one thing at a time. And if you plan on putting some heavy cards/hardware in there, make sure your PS in the case is 400-450. You'll need it.

Guest helloimtim

Just a few things. With barebones and going that route you never have to worry about screwing up your motherboard and or cpu. Which is the biggest part of it. Just take baby steps and one step at a time. While some disagree with my saying dont overclock which I respect I myself have never seen an overclock make that big of diffrence. One thing I learned forsure. I switched from haveing to use a pci video card to a agp. Now the pci would run doom 3 just fine. This more expensive agp has a hard time running it. The pci was only a hundred. This agp was 140,00. I run a 55OO agp card with 256 memory. I have 512 megs of ram installed. Ya live and learn. All this agp is so much faster and better than pci in my case was just talk nothing else and just wrong

Check out www.cpusolutions.com and look at the barebones systems. Hope that helps........

This looks like it's right up my alley, thanks.

ok 1st

what cpu ?

then what motherboard ?

so what u going for intel or amd ?

What do you suggest? I've always heard that AMD was better, although I've only ever had Intel.

AMD is better for gaming Intel is better for video editing and that type of thing. AMD is better bang for the buck so i have always went with AMD. Intel has higher clock speeds but AMD chips do more work per CPU cycle. For example a Athlon 2500 runs at 1.83 GHz but is = in the amount of work it does to a P4 3.0 GHz.

Once you decide what processor you want to go with post here and we can help you on the next part. Overclocking is alot of fun so you can also build your system with that in mind. Once you have it built and are familiar with it you can get alot of xtra speed out of it. I OCed my first rig i built 2 days after i got it running. If you want to build a rig that is highly OCable post here and we can recommend some different CPUs that OC well :D

Personally i think it is fine to OC your first system ONLY after researching it and doing it properly. If he builds the system with future OCing in mind he can get gains that will be quite noticeable. Definetly a great way to learn about your computer!!

I agree the 64's have dropped a fair bit in price and would be the way to go. The Venice core is getting the best OC's currently. Let us know also what your budget is  ;)

So AMD seems to be a popular choice.... would the 64 or XP be a good selection, or would I be better off with Sempron or Duron to start?  Which motherboards are best with AMD CPUs?  Is there other stuff that I should consider, like chipset and socket type?  What about cooling?

I am a little hesitant to try an OC on my first attempt, but still most definitely interested.  I found a couple of guides that seem to be pretty thorough for AMD's :

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=58

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=376

Although I'll try a build without boosting the CPU output first, especially since that seems to be the general consensus here, but I'll probably give it a go some time.  It's just too tempting not to.