securing Drives

on my older pc i have a big c and f drive, i was gona dedicate that pc to downloads

:evil6: what i was wondering besides the obvious wasy to secure drives from security threats is there any way i can say lock part of the c drive where my programs are and make shure that no infections could get in, or will i have to lock the entire c and run my net cache n temp files in the f?    if possible i would really like to just lock my programs and windows n shuch from everything else to reduce infections at least or maybe even make it lkast longer between reformatings.

on my older pc i have a big c and f drive, i was gona dedicate that pc to downloads

:evil6: what i was wondering besides the obvious wasy to secure drives from security threats is there any way i can say lock part of the c drive where my programs are and make shure that no infections could get in, or will i have to lock the entire c and run my net cache n temp files in the f? if possible i would really like to just lock my programs and windows n shuch from everything else to reduce infections at least or maybe even make it lkast longer between reformatings.

If you're connected to the internet, you're exposed.  Even the most sophisticated systems have been hacked or virused up.  To minimize the threat, as you probably know, run a firewall router (not just a regular one, then have a good software firewall and anit-virus installed and kept up to date.  Keep your ops. sys. updated with the newest patches, including your Internet software (IE, FireFox, etc.).  I am unaware of any utility that can lock parts or your whole hard drive from potential infection, since most execute through your own login permissions (access).  To minimize damage, you could set up a separate account on your system and just use that for Internet access.  Set the permissions to the lowest possible access to your machine  (rename the guest account(?) and put a strong password on it, maybe) giving no install capability, etc. and set the program access defaults to disallow access to all your programs, xcept ie or firefox.  Not 100%, but might help......

Get PGP (Pretty Good Privacy)  it is a military Encryption that very few people would be able to get in to. And the chances of those few targeting your C:/ is about 1 in 10000000000000000 :lol:

Google for it and you will find it. Also setup your router make sure password protected. Between that and PGP i wouldn't worry.