Docsis 1.1 v Docsis 2.0

DJVageli

Ok guys I have a Docsis 1.1 cable modem,and we all know that cable companies are planning to increase their speeds real soon.Cox and Adelphia have already stated they will but also said it will require a Docsis 2.0 modem.My question is will my Docsis 1.1 modem be able to handle the speeds once TWC decides to increase also,or will I have to switch to a 2.0 modem?

Specs for the sb5100

# Downstream demodulation: 64 or 256 QAM

# Downstream maximum data rate: 38 Mbps

# Downstream bandwidth: 6 MHz

# Downstream symbol rate: 64 QAM 5.069 Msym/s

# Downstream symbol rate: 256 QAM 5.361 Msym/s

# Downstream operating level range: -15 to +15 dBmV

# Downstream input impedance: 75 ohms (nominal)

# Downstream frequency range: 88 to 860 MHz

# Upstream modulation: 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 QAM or QPSK (with A-TDMA or S-CDMA enabled CMTS)

# Upstream maximum data rate: Up to 30 Mbps

# Upstream bandwidth: 200 kHz, 400 kHz, 800 kHz, 1.6 MHz, 3.2 MHz, 6.4 MHz (with A-TDMA or S-C

DMA enabled CMTS)

Edit:  tech info for sb4200

# Speed: Maximum: 38 Mbps downstream, up to 10 Mbps upstream

# Modem type: Cable

# Interface: F-Connector, female, 75 ohm (cable), USB (computer)

# Data protocol: TCP/IP

# Chipset manufacturer: Broadcom (BCM 3345 chip)

# Auto detect: Yes

# Number of users: Up to 32 users (1 via USB and up to 31 via Ethernet, or 32 users on Ethernet)

# V.90 compatible: No

# K56flex compatible: No

# Operating System support: Windows 95/98/2000/NT/Me/XP, Macintosh, and UNIX computer systems

# Cellular ready: No

# Installation: User

# Installation guide: Yes

From what I read, it can be dependent upon the modem you're using.....  For these two, the only difference is the upstream capability.

no docsis 2.0 is a standard and i think 38/30 is it. however i think that the 4200 is a 1.1 modem. because of the 38/10 max is so, your sitll fine. but yea, i dont see ANY CableCo giving increases THAT big any time soon

It would be nice though.........

http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/products/pcx2500_techspecs.html

Here it is....

FIOS....Where are youuuu............? :haha:

Sooon to be here in my area, hopefully.

Cool,thanks.

From what I see, it can support up to 43 Mbps on a 256 QAM,so thats pretty fast for a Docsis 1.1,but it doesnt say anything about upload.

And for FIOS,supposedly its supposed to be in my area too soon,but the pace is real slow :(

So in other words lol,I dont ever have to switch modems.When they go to Docsis 2.0 and 3.0 my modem can support it :)

It also says it comes with advanced diagnostics,but I dont know how to check it.I know some people are able to check how their modem is performing and the signal,but mine doesnt work :?

Not necessarily... i'm not up on infrastructure of cable plant, but one adelphia tech told me they had removed docsis 1.1 from the part of their system that I am on, since they had replaced the modems of the customers.  Not sure whether this means the systems are not backward compatible.  Frankly, I don't know.  Here is the ip for your 1 internal modem diag. screen.  Enter the ip in the explorer address screen, then click Go. 

Saw literature on DocsDiag, a program that comes with your modem for diagnostics?

Edit: might help to have the ip : 192.168.100.1 :)