What do you think about XP service pack 1a?

SGTGriff

All you experts out there.....

What is the general concensus on Win XP SP1a?

What does one gain by installing it?

The reason I bring this up is I downloaded it this afternoon and installed it, without doing my research. I restarted the computer and all hell broke lose. I couldnt open programs. The computer was slow as a onelegged turtle climbing uphill. After it locked up, I done system restore to the point before the installation of SP1a...... Viola! No more problems.

Is this the norm? Should one stay away from SP1? Or did I possible get a crappy download? Enlighten me please.

Is this download worth my time? Or is it a waste of hard drive space?

Ca3le I was wanting to do some research and see if it was worth downloading. Whats crazy is, my download speed is so slow, its like a major decision whether or not I actually need an application/update. The time I spend downloading something that large (which would take me quite awhile), I could spend playing FarCry. :D

Damn what I just said makes it official.... Im a gaming geek. Oh well.... its damn fun!!!

SP2 is sweet! I love the built in Popup Blocker, and my interconnection has never been so fast! I also like that you get a prompt asking if you want to execute a file downloaded from the internet. That may help prevent some nasty executables from running all by themselves.

I just downloaded last night, after a reformat and clean install of XP Pro. Today, I slipstreamed SP2 into a XP Pro installation cd. 8)

Gil

Ah yes SP-2. I installed it in early JULY. It took forever to install. Everything was just peachy. I was installing it on my friends. Got home and had a note from MS that I needed to install a "Rollover" patch. Big mistake!! :321: A crash from HELL!! Was able to restore. Yesterday I was told to go to auto update for sp2, but first install the Rollover first.. Would not reboot and all my restore points were gone. Watch out for that patch.. It will bight ya .

works for some doenst work for others.. u do know that you dont need SP2 if you do a good job maintaining your system.. :D

:) I agree with you Swimmer , I believe from what I know and have read that if you maintain your "puter" and stay on top of whats going on ALL these so called fixes for security leaks are not necessary for most people. I rarely have downloaded any of their so called fixes because from the beginning I was able to notice some of the fixes caused different problems,but of course they come out with a fix for the fix that didn't fix anything.....lol I am not advising anyone not to download this stuff, I'm just saying what I do.....and of course its just my opinion .....and I could be wrong....hehe..... At the very least I would not be the first on my block to use this stuff, I would wait awhile and let the techies test .......

8) Microwave

Microsoft rules the world.... So when something it broken or exploited they have to put a bandaid on it so that the Industy people dont bitch... That is why we have so many patches for the lovely windows xp os... Other than it is like a car... new models come out... but you dont want the consumer to have to buy $500 software evey year or so... I think that Microsoft is attempting to prolong the life of XP until Longhorn is out and running.. Then I can see 98 being dropped from the support list and 2000/xp becoming the base os for all systems... I hope that you dont have that 400mhz system still running... :lol:

quote from SGTGriff

why does Microsoft even bother putting something out thats still jacked up?

I pity the foo who has speeds like me!! (Said in my best Mr. T voice

:) I worked for a company for many years that knew when they were putting software out in the world it had many problems, the attitude always was ,don't worry we have a fix coming out soon.Now the knuckle heads that were saying this got to sit in there offices and screw around until they got it right, because I was the asshole tech out in the field getting chewed out by some customer. I was called in on the carpet many times for telling the customer things like yeah its got a known flaw and a patch is coming out soon.(just being honest with customers that just spent many thousands of dollars.....what a concept)When I was in front of the suits and they were telling me what it is I should have said my response always was .....OH I see you want me to lie to the customer...hehe...that always stopped the conversation with them....LOL I also said many times if you want the customer to be lied to....then you do it because I refuse. I always thought it was funny because they always said ....well we didn't mean that we wanted you to lie or anything like that.....lol

The main reason I think this is done is a very old concept....C Y A !!!!!

and suits in large corporations have made this an exact science, so why should Microsoft be any different....hmmmmm their not!!!!

8) Microwave

I agree exactly what you just said about the fact that companies release products that require patches and fixes all of the time... Look at some of the games.. there have been a lot of patches for those and no one complains about that... Now take the fact that just about every piece of software has to have atleast on fix in its life time.. and add the fact that Microsoft is fighting a lossing battle because there a jacksons out there that make it their job to exploit the system... Hmm.... Has there ever been a patch for Microsoft Filght simulator?? Maybe they should get that coding team in and have them write some os code...