Comcast "New HighSpeed +$10/month" - Trying in MD (Washington DC Suburbs)

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone taken up Comcast on their new offer of $10 per month (no contract still) to increase to 6mbps download (from the low-mid 3's that we now get)?  I signed up this afternoon and they said it'd take about an hour to take effect.  So far, i'm still hitting in the 3's and and now low 4's, but I guess that a Sunday afternoon might not be a good time to test because of people possibly gaming, etc. and bogging it down a bit?

We've always been very happy with our Comcast, however, and to only pony up $10/month additional for what would be, for us, nearly a 100% boost (since we normally only get around 3) seems worthwhile.  I sure do hope i'll see and notice the difference soon.

Oh, hey, to give you all some perspective... I have been online for 24-years and began with a "kick ass" 300bps modem... WOW, man, times sure do change.  Ha ha.  I have been online more or less continuously since I was 12 - now almost 37.

Awesome site!

Welcome to the forums, MacLifer :hello:

Yes some people here do have the 6Mb/768Kb plan. Sadly I'm not one of them.  The 6/768 plan has been available in most areas since April or so.

You've been online for 24 years? Cool. Who was your first provider?

I remember first using Prodigy "Classic" back in '89 with my 2400 baud modem.

I have it and for some time. My speeds are pretty consistent too. I don't think theres a whole lotta peeps on my node though, which I don't mind at all.  :cool:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 6452 Kbps about 6.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 788 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sun Jun 5 15:34:52 MDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 115X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.3 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 79.17 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-E2UOQHKM3

Ya im kind of satisfied. what i wish they would offer around baltimore here is way more uplaod speed. i only get 700kbs if im lucky. ithe DL is good but i want more upload.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 6224 Kbps about 6.2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 760 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sun Jun 05 2005 18:31:39 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 111X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.35 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 72.84 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-HIW9M5PSL

Welcome to the forums, MacLifer :hello:

Yes some people here do have the 6Mb/768Kb plan. Sadly I'm not one of them.  The 6/768 plan has been available in most areas since April or so.

How will I *know* that the plan is really and truly in effect?  I just got back from a picnic thing and tried it here with 2.7Mbps as the speed.  I wonder if it will be a matter of time before I really see it happening?  Any advice?  Honestly, $10/month more is a bit of a stretch for us at times (please everyone, try not to laugh!) to justify for the supposed increase.  I can't figure out why now, hours later, there's still no difference.  javascript:void(0);

I am thrilled to be here at testmy.net - this place is cool!  Especially for someone who's mostly normal but definitely tech geeky and wants to see speeds, pings and all that fun stuff.  Heh heh.  I love on my Mac the plethora of tests that come built in as well as the whois inquiry, ping tests and a bunch of other fun goodies.  I'll have to avail myself of them this evening.  We are now at an equal one Mac with OS X Tiger for each of the 4 of us so there won't be any more "I need to get on the Mac!!" kid arguments.  Gotta love 'em.... :-)

-----

You've been online for 24 years? Cool. Who was your first provider?

I remember first using Prodigy "Classic" back in '89 with my 2400 baud modem.

Yes, i've been online for at least 24-years.  I remember when I had the ONLY modem around and nobody had a *clue* what "online" meant or what an internet was.  That was great.  I cannot begin to tell you how funny it is for me to remember my father saying, "NOBODY would want to chat by typing when they can just make a phone call!" or "it's just a fad and won't be around too long," etc.  HILARIOUS!!!  And my Dad is a brilliant man (engineer/scientist) so that makes it that much funnier.  My first provider was a "free" Compu$erve account back when it was strictly a numeric address.  Also had Prodigy when it was brand new.  Same with Applelink at one point and of course AOhelL at a free different times.  It's great seeing how much has changed over the years.  Certainly keeps me young on the tech side at least!

Edit: Inserted qoute code.