how old is your PC?

VanBuren

VIC 20 - Commodore 64 - 286 w/ 2 5.25 floppy's (no HD) -- I still have the VIC 20 & Commodore 64 in my attic

My first REAL computer was a 386sx 33MHz - with something like 500MB harddrive and 4MB ram (upgraded to 16MB before I got rid of it...) it wasn't even 256 color display only 16.. haha - no internet.. windows 3.11

Just a little Commodore history. I had a C64 back in 1984, and then got the C128 for Christmas '87. I wanted to play games more than anything else, but my old man made me type out thousand line computer programs. It was his attempt at getting me involved in programming :D. Gigantic amounts of text just to see a balloon bounce around the screen in rhythmic movements. :haha:

Ist Commodore: Commodore PET 2001 Released June 1977 US $795

2nd Commodore: Commodore VIC-20 Released January 1981 US $299

3rd Commodore: Commodore 64 Released September 1982 US $595

4th Commodore: Commodore (Business) B128-80 Released Winter 1982 US $1965 (Discontinued after 1 year)

5th Commodore: Commodore SX-64 "Executive" Released January 1984 US $995 (Worlds first portable color computer)

6th Commodore: Commodore Amiga 1000 Shipped July 1985 US $1295 without monitor, US $1790 with RGB monitor

7th Commodore: Commodore Amiga 2000 Shipped 1987 US $1,500 The successor to original Amiga 1000, with the 2000 having much more expansion capability.

8th Commodore: Commodore 128D (USA) Released January 1987 US $499.95

1988: December - Commodore announces the A2286D Bridgeboard for the Amiga 2000. The A2286D contains an 8-MHz Intel 80286 and a 1.2MB 5 1/4-inch disk drive.

1988: Commodore introduces the Amiga 2000HD and the Amiga 2500.

1989: January - Commodore announces that 1 million Amiga computers have been sold.

1989: November - Commodore announces the Amiga 2500/30. It is essentially an Amiga 2000 with a 2630 Accelerator Board (25-MHz 68030 and 68882 math coprocessor).

1990: April - Commodore offers Amiga 1000 owners US$1000 to trade in their Amiga on a new Amiga 2000.

1990: June - Commodore ships the Amiga A3000 computer.

1990: September - NewTek ships the Video Toaster, a hardware/software video effects tool for the Commodore Amiga 2000, for US$1600.

1990: Commodore announces the Amiga 3000. Prices start at US$4100 with a monitor.

1991: January - Commodore releases the CDTV package. It features a CD-ROM player integrated with a 7.16-MHz 68000-based Amiga 500. List price is US$1000.

1992: Commodore introduces the Amiga 600 for a base price of $500.

1994: Commodore International and Commodore Electronics (two of the many international components of Commodore Business Machines) file for voluntary liquidation.

1995: April - At an auction in New York, ESCOM buys all rights, properties, and technologies of Commodore.

Present: Gateway 2000 currently owns the Amiga line of computers.

CA3LE & organ_shifter: Did either one of you ever hook  Commodore 64 or 128 up to a modem?I found a 1660&1670

Commodore modem in some information I was looking at I didn't even know they made a modem that Commodore used.I used mine for games I did play some with the programing but like organ_shifter said a lot if lines to get a simple function.

My first pc was a Packard Bell Legend 520X

386SX CPU

2MB ram, I think or it was 16Mb

2400 Baud* modem with Prodigy "Classic"

5 1/4 and 3.5" floppy drives.

145MB HDD

MS-DOS 3.5

Windows 3.0

NO sound card or cd-rom just the system speaker.

*From Wikipedia 2400 Baud= 2.4 kbit/s 240B/s

CA3LE & organ_shifter: Did either one of you ever hook Commodore 64 or 128 up to a modem?I found a 1660&1670

Commodore modem in some information I was looking at I didn't even know they made a modem that Commodore used.I used mine for games I did play some with the programing but like organ_shifter said a lot if lines to get a simple function.

Nah. I had a telecommunications disk, but I couldn't ever get it to work properly. I wasn't even aware that it required a modem to function (game fiending 9 year old) until, mabey, a couple of years later. By that time, Nintendo had me with Mario, Contra, Metroid, etc. Although, I would still break out the C64 to play my very first EA Sports title "One On One: Julius Erving and Larry Bird" from 1984.

I just got a Commodore emulator. The package contains several (C64, C128, PET, etc)

Emulator Here: WinVICE-1.14

Legit Rom Site Here: C64.com

Check out these screens from the C64:

Ah yes, Commodore 64 was good as was the Amiga.

Too bad too, the Commodore Amiga was better GUI wise than the Mac 512K at the time(1984).

But I still use my Compaq Presario 1610(laptop) occasionally to run dood old DOS. It's loaded w/ Win 95, 48Mb RAM, 1.6GB hard drive, Pentium 1.5Hz processor..heck, it's "Da Bomb!!" :D

These specs were impressive back in 2000 when it was built.

The old man can still hold up pretty good to newer games and programs though.

One of these days I'll win the lottery and build a replacement for him.

CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz (@1200).

RAM: 768MB PC133 SDRAM

Motherboard: ABIT KT7A-Raid, custom patched BIOS.

HDD : 2x10GB Quantum Fireballs, 1x40GB WesternDigital.

Burners: CD/RW LG GCE 8320B (hacked to 8400B with the HP drives Mt.Rainer capability), DVD/RW Lite On SOHW 832S Custom patched firmware

Video : MSI 128MB Geforce4 Titanium4400 with VIVO.

Sound: Aureal Vortex2 patched to work properly with Windows XP.

Modem: An old ZOOM ISA Lucent based faxmodem, good for the dial-up days and linux.

Network: 3Com Etherlink XL TX NIC

organ_shifter :I had tried the emulator but it made  my PC act odd  after so I don't use it .If I put in a second hard drive I would have a partition just for  Commodore since there are so many games for it that can be DL.I like one called Death Sword .Since I still have a working Commodore 64 that takes me 5 minutes to hook up most of the time I have a Nintendo hooked up to the TV I use for video games.For those that didn't know & want to try  the emmulator you  can DL A lot of free games for it.

organ_shifter :I had tried the emulator but it made my PC act odd after so I don't use it.

I believe that the x64 emulator will only play the games from that site (which are all C64 games). The x128 version will probably only play games designed for the C128. I don't know why as the C128 could play C64 games, if I remember correctly. Try the x64 emulator for those games and see if that was the problem.

Once you start the emulator, click on "Settings", select "Video settings", click on the "Fullscreen" tab, leave the Driver: Primary Display driver, Bitdepth: 32, Resolution: 640x480, Refreshrate: Default, check the last two boxes, and OK your way out.

If you have a game pad, click Settings, select Joystick settings, drop down the list and select the one on your system under "Joystick in port #1", and OK you way out.

Click on Settings, and select the option "Save settings on exit", which is second from the bottom.

Click on Options, select "Double Size".

Click on Options again, go down to "Video standard" and select NTSC-M (for US screen size).

That's it. To start a game, click on "File", select "Autostart Disk/Tape Image...", browse to the folder with the game of you choice, select it, and then click Attach. The game/program will start automatically.

Games will load just as slow as the original C64, so you will need to click on "Options", and select "Warp mode" (or just press Alt+W to start Warp mode and press Alt+W to turn it back off once the game has started.)