please help virtual memory problem?

sundevil13

Well heres a definition for it:

This is system memory that is simulated by the hard drive. When all the RAM is being used (for example if there are many programs open at the same time) the computer will swap data to the hard drive and back to give the impression that there is slightly more memory

So in other words when all your RAM is being taken up,your Hard drive acts like a RAM to a certain extent ;)

windows is managing my virtual mammary. I have a DELL DIMENSION  DIM2400 Intell® 

Coleraine ® CPU 240 GHz    2.39GHz      256 MB of RAM

i have same computer (2nd) ]

Dell Dimension 2400

Intel Pentium 4 (it was celeron)

2.40 GHz

256MB of RAM (added another 256MB of RAM) now got 512

here is a 512MB of RAM (Kingston 512MB PC2700 DDR 333Mhz Memory) for $49.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38813

here is a 256MB of RAM (Ultra 256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory) $34.99 - $25.00 (mail in rebate) = 9.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=576572

here is a 512MB of RAM (Kingston 512MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory) for $49.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38813

here is a 256MB of RAM (Ultra 256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz Memory) $34.99 - $25.00 (mail in rebate) = 9.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=576572

ok ill do that thanks for the advice and sorry for  frustrating you with my lack of commuter knowledge.

The button above delete key is Prt Scn/SysRq key.Hit that, open paint and paste.Save as (normally in My Pictures) also make sure you save it as a JPG. On this page here go to Additional Options, click on browse now find the pic. hit open and it will there in that box. Do not hit preview.

sundevil13,

Get as much memory as you can afford.  I run 781 Mb  and haven't had any problems, but if you can get a "gig" of memory , then do so. If you've never installed a "memory" chip before, have a friend do it for  you. If your computer is still under warranty, have the store where you bought it from do it for you. Trust me, I went through this two years ago with a memory upgrade-got a bad chip, and hosed the o.s.(XP). But took my computer back to Best Buy, and got everything runn'in correctly for free..gotta love the extended warranty that best buy sells-got a new power supply two months ago-for free.

:haha:

: sundevil13: IF you do install more memory you have to go into your case..There should be some slots these might have RAM

memory sticks already in them depending on what gives you your 256.It could be 1 stick or 3.I am going to assume its 1

One last question is it hard to install and how might i install it thanks again for the help.

just like "CHOLLA" said

: sundevil13: IF you do install more memory you have to go into your case..There should be some slots these might have RAM

memory sticks already in them depending on what gives you your 256.It could be 1 stick or 3.I am going to assume its 1  so you just need to add another.The RAM slots have a lock on each side( just a plastic clip  that clicks in when the stick is inserted in deep enough.I takes a fair amount of pressure So don't rip your MB apart if you have to take one out  or kill it putting one in).Use a static strap .

it will only take about less than 5 mins to do :D 

since you have the 2400 series there will be one more slot to put in the RAM (there's 2 total)

yeah i am working upp enough to get a 512mb stick of ram or at least a 256mb. and i figured out if you push to hard on one side of the stick or RAM and barely push on the other they can easily break....(good thing the one i was trying to get out was screwed up anyways)...but yeah make sure you don't bust anything like i did....jsut a word of advice

-billybob

If I bought the stick at circuit city would they install it for me because im afraid to screw around to close to my MB.

maybe if you have warranty for your computer there. i dont know.

when i 1st instaledl a RAM i was scared i was going to break or screw something up. but i did it and didnt  f*ck up anything  :D

Welcome to the forums, sundevil13 :hello:

If I bought the stick at circuit city would they install it for me because im afraid to screw around to close to my MB.

If you bought your computer there, they may install it for free. If not you will probably have to pay for it. FYI: memory isn't really hard to install, as long as your patient and careful.