Sound card install question

SteveH11

First off, congrats to testmy for hitting 10,000. Great site !!!!<br><br>And on to the crux of this post: I'm going to install a soundblaster 24 bit sound card into my PC. I'm running Windows XP home. I believe that XP already has CDDA extraction enabled in the OS, but does it need to be set in the bios as well ?And.... If it is in fact enabled, I don't need to wire it to my dvd rom....right????<br>Nonetheless, my real issue lies in how to disable the onboard audio on the MOBO. I'm installing this card in an ASUS A7V8X-LA. (kelut) motherboard. It has the old built in sound. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>One more for the gear heads....Does anyone know if adding this card will relieve my processor (AMD XP-3200) of the task of co/reproducing sound off the board, and actually  boost its' power (even if only minimally)?<br><br>Thanks again.<br><br>SteveH11

Disable onboard sound in the Bios on the boards i have had to do it on. After that install the card and you should be good to go.

As for the CPU i don't think it will make any difference, it will lessen the load on your NB though :)

You dont have to disable your on-board sound if you dont want to but, if you have no need for the secondary sound card then might as well (for example, I used the on-board and sound-blaster to run virtual DJ tables from my system)...just make sure that windows and all programs that use the sound card are set for the newer card....

what you need to do is find the information on your specific onboard display chip.If you need to disable it because it may just work as a backup if you  install a video card,Some  times  it depends on your OS what you need to do.It can depend on you PC.So general instructions are helpful  but if you want it done the correct way you need to find as much system specific information as you can & follow that.I am putting an example below it is not for your system but shows the type if information you might need to do it right.

Now how can I disable my Intel 82810 on-board video?

To disable the onboard video, it must be done in device manager in windows. It is disabled in system devices not in display adapters. Both of these two categories are listed in the device manager screen. You must click on the category system devices to open it up, once done it shows a lot of different items. The one you would be looking for to disable the onboard video is 82810 system and graphics controller. Highlight it so it is blue, click properties. Another screen will open up revealing two possible selections. Uncheck exists in all hardware profiles, check disable in this hardware profile, click ok, exit, unplug, install video card connect your monitor to it, reboot, let windows install generic drivers to get your new card going. What trips a lot of people up in this procedure is that there are two categories in device manager that look all most identical. The first one is under display adapters, Intel® 82810 graphics controller, you don't use this category selection. You must scroll down in device manager until you are near the bottom and then click on system devices. You will then find a listing that includes Intel 82810 system and graphics controller. Click properties, check, and uncheck boxes. The first selection I mentioned, Intel® 82810 graphics controller only has

one check box, and is listed in under display adapters and can't disable the onboard graphics.----PC

or in simple terms:

My computer>

control panel>

device manager>

system devices>

highlight intel 82810 system and graphics controller>

properties>

uncheck exists in all hardware profiles>

check disable>

click ok>

exit and shut down, unplug. Install video card, reboot. Windows

will install it's generic drivers. Later use your disc to install

specific drivers for card.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I love this site. It's really cool that there's so many of y'all willing to help out<br><br> Just installed the card . Disabled onboard in bios, put in card, ignored generic drivers and installed creatives' software. She works !!! I'm very pleased. <br><br>I will be sure to spread the word about testmy. Once again thanks alot!!!!! :D