Getting FIOS installed on Friday in MA, what can I expect?

f2racer

I'm getting FIOS installed on Friday.  I currently have SDSL through COVAD (which I hope to be getting rid of in the next month or so).  They use PPPoE and I use a Linux machine as the NAT/Firewall/Mail/Web server (all my other machines go through this server, it's got 2 ethernet cards, one to the DSL modem and the other into a LAN switch).  How will I need to modify my network topology?  BTW, I user the linux server as both a VPN server & client so I can telecommute to work also.

Thanks!

As to what you can expect.... a lot faster speeds for one. As for the networking end, i would have them run the Cat5/Cat6 line into the NIC where the modem is now connected. Then just have cable from the second NIC to the Switch. I don't know if this would work but I think it should.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed last Friday.  Took Verizon a little bit longer to assign an install date because there was a bug in their billing system which did not allow them to setup a date since I don't have Verizon for local/long distance phone (they have a workaround for now).  In any case, the install was entirely painfree and my network topology didn't change at all.  Did plug in the DI-604 for about 10 minutes to "setup" the WAN.  Verizon is still using PPPoE in MA, but you enter any userid/password and it'll connect.  After that I plugged the Cat5 into my Linux Firewall/Router/Server and my LAN was back up and running.  Speed is pretty amazing.  I'm coming from 384K SDSL, so I'm over 10 times faster now!

Installed last Friday.  Took Verizon a little bit longer to assign an install date because there was a bug in their billing system which did not allow them to setup a date since I don't have Verizon for local/long distance phone (they have a workaround for now).  In any case, the install was entirely painfree and my network topology didn't change at all.  Did plug in the DI-604 for about 10 minutes to "setup" the WAN.  Verizon is still using PPPoE in MA, but you enter any userid/password and it'll connect.  After that I plugged the Cat5 into my Linux Firewall/Router/Server and my LAN was back up and running.  Speed is pretty amazing.  I'm coming from 384K SDSL, so I'm over 10 times faster now!

Lucky S.O...... HAHA

no but  seriously nice going, I wish they would get that down here in GA. where I live.

really need something better than mediacom (aka = mediacrap) for high speed around here.

I can't wait either I have sbc dsl pro package or 3mbs down and 384 up I get about 450 or more up with tweaks but when I upload to others they get a transfer rate or 60kbs don't ask me. But I run server alot and with my crappy upload I can't really run a web server but when ever I get fios in like a million years lol! I will run a web server and more than likely never pay for hosting again! Since it will be pretty fast not 100mbs but good. By the way I live in boring oklahoma do you know when I can get fios?