new ram

luckyme

Just a quick question about some new ram im looking at. i have a p4 2.66 processor and i believe its either 333 or 400 fsb. right now i have only 2 sticks of 128 pc2700 ddr dual channel ram in it. i was looking @ some ocz ram but all i can find is ddr 400 pc3200 ram. what i was wondering is if i use that with my other ram will it work? if so will it affect the performance or does anyone have any suggestions or a better deal than this? http://www.directron.com/o400512eldcpek.html if so please help!

thanks in advance

Don't mix the RAM --

I am pretty sure the following is still relivant. If you mix a lower speed ram with a higher speed ram.. your faster ram will clock down to match the crap RAM. Do you really need another 256 MB... NO. I would buy at least a single stick of PC2-3200 DDR2-400 -- should be about $120 and that will be perfect for your system.(that is of course if your motherboard can take DDR2 ~ otherwise just get PC3200 DDR which should be about $50-$60 for 512MB)

I seriously need to do the same myself, I got all this badass shit in my machine and I got like 1GB of friggen lame memory -- my machine has a 400Mhz FSB and I haven't even taken advantage of it yet... :roll:

But...

if your FSB is 333 > get PC2700 or better

if your FSB is 366 > get PC3000 or better

if your FSB is 400 > get PC3200 or better

You think they might have just named the memory PC333, PC366 and PC400 huh :P

More memory is not always good though... Think of it this way, as a person.. being able remeber a crap load of stuff is really cool... but if it takes you forever to recall that information what the hell is the use.

Faster memory = faster computer = less stuff that needs to be put into memory ~~~~ I would take a stick of - PC2-5300 DDR2-667 512MB over a 2GB stick of PC2100 any day of the week.....

Thanks man, i thought that was what the situation would be so heres what i decided on... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-480&depa=1

I realize it is the "value select", but i have heard good stuff about corsair and some good reviews on newegg so i thought id give it a whirl. should get it tomarrow so we'll see how it goes.

thanks again

:D

Well guys it's in the box and all I can say is good god this stuff is awsome! I would recommend this to anyone. Of course i was running on 256 of ddr 333 so this is a big jump but...holy hell! I read alot about corsair here and elsewhere and i thank you all for the gread advice. Glad i did go with this gig over the 512 of ocz for the same price. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL!

:evil: feel much better with this in my box!

thanks again.

Dear Mr. Damon Mueller:

Thank you for shopping at Newegg.com.

1 PACKAGE(S) SHIPPED THUS FAR.

Item Description Quantity

17-130-910 CD-R VERBATIM|52X 700MB 100PK SPNDL 1

20-145-480 DDRAM 1GB|64X64 VS DDR400 KIT COR% 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

Ordered that shiz the other day ... should come today, I can't wait :)