freezing when running speed test or downloading file

chd176

I need help please guys, I have an hp dv1000 and so far it's a really good notebook except for one problem. When I go to do a speed test on this site or if I download a file it freezes and my speed on downloads can go from 160 KB/sec (my normal speed) to 24 KB/sec then go back up to 140 KB/sec and fluctuate between the two throughout the entire download. When I connect via ethernet I have none of these problems. I did a spyware/virus scan just incase and found nothing. I do have 2.4 cordless phones but in desperation I took the batteries out and unpluged the base and I still have the same issue. I have two routers both Linksys. One is an 802.11b and the other 802.11g both routers have the same thing and even in other areas I have the same issue (I took it to work to test it). So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card, updated drivers, did a recovery, and finally ran van burdens cablenut settings for my 1500/256 DSL speed and so far nothing has worked. I'm at my witts end and I REALLY REALLY do NOT want to call HP's nonsupport line for help. Thanks a million in advance.

oops sorry about that I wasn't sure if should just be in help with test since it was freezing on loading webpages as well as the test and file downloads, but anywho whatever was causing the issue has now gone. I was seeing speeds of 145 kB/sec max now I am seeing speeds of 175 kB/sec (which seems almost impossible with the overhead for the PPPoE DSL line) but I guess it was some type of interference. Other than 2.4 GHz cordless phones and radar detectors does anyone else know of anything that could cause havoic for a wireless connection? Also here is my speed test that shows everything back to normal (well actually BETTER than normal

Are you close to other homes or Apts that could have access points in them?

I would try changing the wireless channel in your router.

Most I think are defaulted to channel 6, unless you change them.

Try channel 10 for example, maybe there is interference from someone else's AP.

Edit: added pic from Linksys site, it's blurry, best I could find....

I live in a pretty rural area my nearest neighbor is 1/4 of a mile away. I was just thinking that someone may have had something else that could interfer with my connection. I now have speeds that are excellent so I have NO idea what happened but I guess with a good router 1/4th of a mile may could have interference. I do have to say the people I live by are pretty tech savy so I will try to change the channel if things start up again but right now things are perfect.

right I do realize this because the card can only handle 11 MB speeds no more but I have the intel 2200 BG wireless card in my HP and it can handle the G speeds...but even at 802.11B it should be able to handle 1.4 MB with me only 2 feet from the router.