Knoxvillle TN, COmcast 6MB+

OK, i usually don't brag about an ISP, i've had many in the past 16 years, from dial up, to dsl, and now cable, which i was skeptic about for several years, because i worked in tech support for a local adsl ISP, i think they had me brainwashed!

anyhow.

I got comcasts standard internet, WOW, great speeds for a few days, then spent 3 months fighting packet loss, several techs coming out, and then supervisors sweeping lines, etc.. only to find out,

there wasn't a ground wire on the rack in a "headend". (magical place where fiber meets coaxial meets racks of channels and a linksys router... no sh1bby.)

this got fixed, i was soooo happy.

I usually don't call tech support, but one day, i was going to change a LOT of hardware, and operating systems, didn't know if they needed to do a "MAC search and destroy" seeing how as MY hardware would have all new mac adresses, (modem would remain the same, nice OLDER surfboard), the tech asked if i was still having packet loss, i said no, no mac adress search and destroy needed, then, as a very friendly tech does, he asks if i was a gamer, i said YES, of course, i also volunteered the info that i liked to RUN gaming servers, and i like to serve files..

(he couldn't talk about that aspect of it) but then, he says, we just started a new service today.. 6800/768, since u have had all this issue, would u like me to switch u.. im like OF COURSE!!!, he told me it would cost $10 bux a month extra, but, he could load me the bootfile to my modem IMMEDIATELY, they werent supposed to until the following day, but five minutes later, my modem reboots, i check it's status, it's loading new bootfile, i come to testmy.net, im running on a 6Mbps line,

needless to say, i told the tech he was my new best friend, gave him my gaming server ip address, (we shared the same liking for "Day of Defeat") and i lived and loved EVERY DAY SINCE..

i have had NO issue paying the xtra money,

i have had NOT ONE outage or technical issue.

and i anticipate the upcoming 14000/2000 coming in a month, im already listed for a "supervisor call back" the day they can release it.

now, how to get to that bootfile!!!! LOL J/K!!!!

I would happily suggest ComCast to any family member, or friend, and to get the 6Meg package gamer or no gamer.. it's just simply worth it, especially in homes where the "kids" have pc's of their own also.

here is why:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 6164 Kbps about 6.2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 752 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Jun 25 2005 22:57:07 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 110X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.36 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 71.03 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1FA5DN2XI

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 702 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 86 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Jun 25 2005 22:57:39 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 11.91 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 104.07 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-F9MQCP2RN

Weclome to the forums, alex :hello:

Comcast hasn't announced another official upgrade yet. Ever since Verizon started offering FIOS, there has been a rumour that Comcast will sometime be offering 14Mb service. Sadly the're just rumors right now.

i say they'll upgrade somewhere by the end of the year to the beginning of next year  :D

My sister, she works for Customer SUpport and Sales, for comcast at the asheville HQ... the rumors aren't TOTALLY rumors, it's just when and where will upgrade and how it will be rolled out, and when, SO FAR, the best inside rumor i have heard, is September, and it will be 14000/2024, no new hardware, a simple bootfile sent to the modem, modem reset, and wallah your on a 14mb line.

Craziness.

I am still totally happy with my 6mb line from comcast, but, with the next tier!!!! i need that upload for shizzy meh nizzy

• 2 weeks later...

comcast has the capability but no plans to roll it out.  no plans whatsoever.  not at this time and not that i am aware of in the near future.  and if you crack into your modem and try to do it then it DOES GET DETECTED and your modem will shut down and they reserve the right to discontinue your service for that.