Removing Nortons

SteveH11

O.K. she's (Norton A-V) gone. My PC's still running. However, I keep getting Notices that a "browser helper is trying to add itself on to the IE  toolbar. I keep denying it....It's called Global browser. Seems every 10 seconds I'm getting warnings. I'm going to run my anti spy stuff, and my Antivirus. Weird. Maybe Nortons was keeping it at bay and when I removed it, she came back.....

It's Microsoft antispy, Spybot s/d and winpatrol all telling me that a browser add on is adding itself to my registry. It keeps repeating itself every 15 seconds. Just a few minutes ago I tried to restart my machine but it wouldn't let me. A program called XPCOM was not ending. Then I couldn't open firefox. WEIRD....<br><br>I Have to leave for a few I'll be back.....What have I done !!!!!! :shock:<br><br>............not to mention everything is running so slooooooooow.

Well, that was horrible.<br><br> So I finally get into safe mode and run all the Anti virus, spyware scanners etc, and find nothing. Restart machine and that durn, (yes, I said "durn") global browser is still continually asking permission to change my registry to allow it to take control of Internet Explorer. I'm denying away, but it somehow manages to get permission. Mind you it's still trying and still being denied by my microsoft antispy, and winpatrol. I don't get it :angry5:. One pop-up says denied, the next says allowed. So...I procede to pull what's left of my hair out and attempt finding this registry addition using the registry app. Lorne suggested. But, as I figured ...nothing unusual, or at least glaring that is, shows up. So I decide to use the  actual reg cleaner and it comes up with 300 plus problems in the registry. hmmm, great, just fantastic, another issue I'm going to have to deal with. Considering I have no way of knowing which of these problematic entries I can safely purge....aside from the obvious familiar stuff.<br><br>I honestly had the urge to throw the entire machine out my .5 story window.<br><br>I mean seriously,,,processes aren't ending, firefox won't load, Processes I've never heard of are starting...<br><br>.BY KROMM, WHAT ON EARTH ???? <br><br> Now, here's where it gets ugly folks. I did the unthinkable.....yes, I did a system restore, to a point I created just before attempting this feat of insanity. So after 15 cold boots, she seems to have stabilized. The browser thing has stopped...which may mean that it's installed itself in IE..(which I don't really use)...But firefox is working again. <br><br> Who in Gods name created this mess and where can I find him????? :twisted: <br><br>Anyway, that whole episode just sucked. i think I'm going To pick up my nice safe PS2 and kill stuff for a while......Thanks again people.<br><br> Steve

Wow, that's some rough stuff.  Funny the way you present it, but rough nonetheless.  The only thing I can think of is, if your restore point seems to be stable, update and run Norton AV, get some additional AV's (try AVG and avast!) and run them, and then talk to Norton about uninstalling their crap.  At least that way somebody else will be liable if it goes bad.  Take it easy and good luck.

I already run the AVG antivirus. Seems cool but it's never found a virus. Perhaps I should be happy about that ???  Nortons definition update has expired, which was one of the reasons I wanted to make it go away....  BTW, the entire Norton A-V is now back where it always was. :D...My son just asked me to put that there, He saw the forehead vein of exasperation +5 (....no less.) He's a good kid. <br><br>What I really need to learn is the finer points of reg editing....Yeah, that's exactly what I need.<br><br>Additionally, I would like to add how amusing it is to be able to go back in time to my first posts and watch as I grow from an innocent fellow just out to do some "uninstallin", into an axe weilding maniac. <br><br>Yup.

Guest helloimtim

Goodness nortons is so evil......I hate it I hate it I hate it......Here is another idea you may want to try........Try a 3rd party uninstaller to get rid of nortons.........Or you could go to start....search......and find all nortons products......right click on them and delete. Try looking for nortons and or symenatic....Then run a reg cleaner and that may do it.......I have done that trick before and got rid of nortons on a friends computer that way. Just make sure its not running in the background. Stop it from starting up when you start your computer.

Well, that was horrible.<br><br> So I finally get into safe mode and run all the Anti virus, spyware scanners etc, and find nothing. Restart machine and that durn, (yes, I said "durn") global browser is still continually asking permission to change my registry to allow it to take control of Internet Explorer. I'm denying away, but it somehow manages to get permission. Mind you it's still trying and still being denied by my microsoft antispy, and winpatrol. I don't get it :angry5:. One pop-up says denied, the next says allowed. So...I procede to pull what's left of my hair out and attempt finding this registry addition using the registry app. Lorne suggested. But, as I figured ...nothing unusual, or at least glaring that is, shows up. So I decide to use the actual reg cleaner and it comes up with 300 plus problems in the registry. hmmm, great, just fantastic, another issue I'm going to have to deal with. Considering I have no way of knowing which of these problematic entries I can safely purge....aside from the obvious familiar stuff.<br><br>I honestly had the urge to throw the entire machine out my .5 story window.<br><br>I mean seriously,,,processes aren't ending, firefox won't load, Processes I've never heard of are starting...<br><br>.BY KROMM, WHAT ON EARTH ???? <br><br> Now, here's where it gets ugly folks. I did the unthinkable.....yes, I did a system restore, to a point I created just before attempting this feat of insanity. So after 15 cold boots, she seems to have stabilized. The browser thing has stopped...which may mean that it's installed itself in IE..(which I don't really use)...But firefox is working again. <br><br> Who in Gods name created this mess and where can I find him????? :twisted: <br><br>Anyway, that whole episode just sucked. i think I'm going To pick up my nice safe PS2 and kill stuff for a while......Thanks again people.<br><br> Steve

Might want to re-run your ad-aware, spybot, etc. now that it seems pretty stable.  Is your XP updated?  Microsoft also has a malicious program removal tool you might want to check out. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=890830 

Registry editing is kind of an art.  Download hijackthis, unzip into a directory, then run it.  Now, just do a google search on each of the program files eg:win.exe  yourself.  Familiarize yourself with the good programs, dump the obviously bad, and post here the ones that you are unsure of, if you wish. 

Cak46.....thanks for the advice. All spyware is up to date . WinXP (sp2) has all updates, and I'm about to run the malicious tool. Had it but didn't think to run it. I also have CWShredder, might as well run that too. <br><br>The machine has been running well since the experiment. I can't even believe the insanity my PC went through the first time I rebooted after  attempting the install. Unreal ! I'll run the checks and get back later.<br><br>BTW I just recieved a popup telling me that Microsoft anti spyware has a newer version, (not just definitions).. When I agreed to  update nothing happened. ..........more weird. I'll be back.

Ran everything. There's nothing evil going on it seems. I'm Going to look into the registry thing. I guess one cool thing is, that reg editor/cleaner Lorne suggested lets you back up every change that's made. After the debacle yesterday I'm not too sure I should undertake such perils....But it's the only way I'll learn this stuff, and I'll be a better man for it. Dangit !!!<br><br>That or I'll be springing for a new machine. :haha:

Ran everything. There's nothing evil going on it seems. I'm Going to look into the registry thing. I guess one cool thing is, that reg editor/cleaner Lorne suggested lets you back up every change that's made. After the debacle yesterday I'm not too sure I should undertake such perils....But it's the only way I'll learn this stuff, and I'll be a better man for it. Dangit !!!<br><br>That or I'll be springing for a new machine. :haha:

:haha::haha:

Most you would have to do is re-install your operating system, which isn't fun but if you haven't done it before, might be a new experience as well.  Probably one you'd rather not have, though..... :)

Hijackthis also backs up entries that you delete.  Good luck, err on the side of caution at the beginning and if you have problems just post 'em!   

Right on. And thanks.<br><br>I actually want to re-install the OS. I've done it before with millenium edition. Been a while. The problem I'm facing is reinstalling it through that partition.( no disc) I think my best bet would be to dump this drive, purchase XP pro (I have home), And do a nice clean install. <br>The other issue I have is going through the pain of backing up all my stuff. <br><br>Ah well, at this point I'm happy at least that this deal is still running. We'll see.....

hi SteveH11 welcome to the forum  :hello:...hope you're getting the help you need.

i would ask that you not double ...triple...quadruple post...some think it's spamming...

instead...you can modify/edit your own posts to say the additional stuff you want to say...stuff maybe you forgot to say before and before anyone has had a chance to reply. enjoy

edit: i do understand as i re-read this thread slowly...that you were under quite a bit of stress and...

that you never quad posted...(my mistake...i thought i'd seen that you had...)

edit: to correct myself