Removing Nortons

SteveH11

Anyone know the best way to remove Nortons Anti-virus completely ? It came set up on the machine when I bought it. Is there an uninstaller out there that will take all the components out better than add/remove programs. It is my understanding that Nort. likes to leave a bunch of "stuff"after it's removed(i.e. problems). I'm using AVG right now and it does a fine job.<br><br>BTW, I removed N.a-v from my start up but the program is still installed. <br><br>Thanks in advance.

Sometimes with firewalls and antiviruses you have to configure the program so that it doesn't start when windows boots up (usually just a check box within the program).  Then you can reboot your computer and remove it via "add/remove programs" in the control panel.

Yep control panel will usually do it. I know there are a few Norton Uninstallers out there because it is such a apin in the ass. If you google for norton uninstaller you will see them. I would but not ime right now ;)

You should also be ready to expand some files from your XP disk after you uninstall it (if you are running XP). When i uninstalled it, it deleted my C:WindowsSystem32Autoexec.nt

Norton support will tell you to uninstall in control panel. Than when stuff starts going wrong as it usually does with a Norton Uninstall they will say it is because of other programs. This is the norm with Norton support.

No matter what unless you are very lucky you are going to have some problems after. But you can try support maybe you will get lucky :lol:

Norton support will tell you to uninstall in control panel. Than when stuff starts going wrong as it usually does with a Norton Uninstall they will say it is because of other programs. This is the norm with Norton support.

No matter what unless you are very lucky you are going to have some problems after. But you can try support maybe you will get lucky :lol:

Nortons has specific uninstallers on their support site for each version of their annti-virus software if their regular uninstaller fails, which happens on a regular basis.  Here is one:  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam.

Alot of good info here, and follow the instructions carefully.

Nortons has specific uninstallers on their support site for each version of their annti-virus software if their regular uninstaller fails, which happens on a regular basis.  Here is one: 

Just goes to show how great their product is  :haha:

Wow, thanks for all the advice.I guess I'll try the Nortons website first. BTW, I don't have an XP disc. All the software came preloaded on the machine and apparently it's loaded onto a partition they (Compaq/hp) created on the back end of the C drive.(obviously.)<br><br>Thank God I don't have the entire security suite. I checked my running processes and she's still running even though I managed to disable it. Why on earth do they make this such a pain? Wish me luck, and thanks to all those that helped.<br><br>Steve<br><br>How difficult are registry editors to use ? It's not like hijack this is it ???<br><br>(edited)

The 1 i posted is easy to use..just find the clean registry button and click. It will ask how you want to clean it "Agressive or "normal" i always use aggresive and have had no problems.

Why do they make it such a pain...i wish i knew. Why so many people use Nortons i have no idea. The amount of xtra money they must have to spend for support and making new installers must be a fair bit.  :haha:

If you end up needing any of those XP files that i talked about just PM me your e-mail and i can send them to you ;)

I said, "Brutal" ways of removing it.

Lorne, as you can see he got it in his Compaq/HP deal as did I, where I found out how to force remove it.

Norton is truely the worse antivirus I've come across so far, even after the huge story of how they use "Super computers" to create their own viruses and use those to preblock attacks before they come to you, what's the use if the program can't get that far to run!?

I FIND it WAYYYY easier to do this for the following programs:

AOL, Norton, Black Ice, any p2p, THE ONLY way to get rid of them???

fdisk, reformat, reinstall windows...

much less work, and u have an untainted registry

So true.  This is the best way to make sure that you have only what you want on your system.  I like to back up my files externally and do this every few weeks, it's way easier.

I wish I could reformat, but like I said, I don't have an XP disc. I've put this task off 'til monday when I'm free from work and I can focus on what I'm doing. I'll post whether I'm successful or not. <br><br>One of the main reasons I'm doing this is so I can free up the resources it's taking. In my running processes nort. is taking up space with like 4 different processes. Reg. update, def. update etc. not to mention the program itself. As I mentioned, I disabled it from starting up but these processes continue to run. <br><br>Thanks again for the advice everyone. Geeeeese what a pain. :angry5:<br><br>Lorne, You can probably expect a PM.....Thanks for the offer.

yea my dell didnt come with a disc either, just that 'restore partition'

so i called them up like right after gettin my laptop and bitched a bit about how i payed extra for xp pro and i want an actual cd for something i paid for

he finally agreed that i should get a xp cd, so dell had one shipped to me, along with a $50 concession coupon because of the 'difficulties'.

maybe compaq will do the same?

Wingzero, I unfortunately got XP home. I wish I had the option for pro especially with this 64 bit thing coming out.-(they won't let you upgrade unless you're running Pro). Then again, I don't really think I need that with this weak@ss machine I'm running. I really wish I had built my machine from the ground up as I did in the past. I was

Wingzero, I unfortunately got XP home. I wish I had the option for pro especially with this 64 bit thing coming out.-(they won't let you upgrade unless you're running Pro). Then again, I don't really think I need that with this weak@ss machine I'm running. I really wish I had built my machine from the ground up as I did in the past. I was  itching for a new pc and this Compaq was so inexpensive. Such a bummer that they did not bundle the discs with the Pc. I imagine there's no way to reformat that section of C and leave the backup on the partition alone. Maybe I should copy that area to  disc(s). Nah, that would be too much I'd have to reload the same problems I had from the beginning.<br><br> Can't really look into removing the nortons til tomorrow anyway. (at work) <br><br>So let me get this straight.<br><br> #1.Use add remove programs.<br><br>#2.Uninstall Nortons A-V.<br><br>#3. Use reg cleaner to get rid of garbage.<br><br>#4. Get ahold of Lorne to replace files taken out that shouldn't have been. <br><br> I wonder if I should set a new system restore point. Also, If this fails and I find the proper Norton uninstaller, will it know to remove the garbage once all the main Nort A-V stuff is gone? We shall see soon enough. <br><br>Thanks again guys !!! :D

It'll remove just the files that are associated with nortons (the special unistaller for nortons, that is). 

Guest helloimtim

Ok I used to have the same set up with hp and nortons. First thing is get the restore disks for your machine if you still have tec support. Now to get the restore disks what i did was call tec support told them my computer would not start up. Ran through some tests the try this try that. Of course i did not do it but told them I did. After a while they just sent me my restore disks. No charge. Restore your computer with the disks. The very first thing before you do anything is go to add remove programs and remove nortons. Dont update. Dont do anything. First thing is remove it. Then do all your regullar updates and stuff. Now after you get all your updates and programs removed you dont want get nortons ghost 2003. If you have a dvd burner that will really be cool. As soon as your happy with your computer and its acting fine back it up with ghost 2003. Keep the disk handy and use it for your restore disk. With nortons ghost 2003 backed up to a dvd disk I only need one disk. Saved me countless times. I have xp home. Hope all this info helps can add more info if ya need it...................have a nice day

yes, first uninstall everything from control panel.  but as i found out, that dose not unistall everything! ,go to the norton site.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/1999120113053307  (you may want to use search at the norton site) also depedinig on what version you have, there is a uninstall clean up program on the install disk it's self.

the best way to do it is threw the registry, from the site. they explain it in detail on the norton web site ..yes it's a b#$#ch but,if you know how to use regedit ,its not so hard, just time consumming! i'v done it myself about 4 times...so much fun :-)

To everyone that helped,<br><br>I'm about to undertake this thing. Thanks for all the advice. On Nortons site, they do tell you (as someone I believe already mentioned), to uninstall it first through add/remove. Once back to Nortons first though.<br><br> I'm going in.....If I'm not back in 4 days please have someone feed my cat. Lorne I may take you up on that PM. Thanks again<br><br>steve