Slower than a wet week

Jules

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 13 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 2 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Tue Jun 28 12:09:51 UTC+1000 2005

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 512 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 12.38 % of your hosts average (net.au)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-6A2WS5FQX

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 18 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 2 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Tue Jun 28 12:32:58 UTC+1000 2005

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB download in 512 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 1.38 % of your hosts average (net.au)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DN7CPRBQO

Thanks for the welcome :)

Cheers for the info. The phone lines here are ancient & have so much noise on them the ants underground need to wear ear-muffs.

Damn, what part of Australia?  -- so THAT'S why the termites there build those high rises :evil6: ...  (you set me up for that one)

Jules : Here are some dial-up tweaks.Do you  have a Telnet you can run a data line quality test to? I put one  in a link below but I doubt it will work from Australia.Jusst keep calling your phone company until you get a good tech I talked to several at mine before I found 1 that knew about this test.Most run the standard line quality test.If you can run this one it will tell you what your noise level is.You also should make sure you have a good ground rod that you ground your NID(network interface device) to.Thats the box on the outside of your house.New phone cable inside the house & new phone jacks can lower noise.like cat3 or cat5 there are even sheilded cables if you have a lot of interference from electrical devices in your home.

Download & install Cablenut;use the ccs file for your OS & connection.

I make these adjustments to Cablenut for a custom dial-up file if it doesn't make yours work better you can use the ones that

it puts in automatically.On the RWIN use the one of the settings suggested by  TCPIP analyzer for  RWIN based on MSS & enable

windows scaling.On my Cablenut this is Tcp1323Opts set to 1.

Check your system at  https://www.speedguide.net/  . Select the TCPIP analyzer.

If it shows your MTU other than 1500 or your MSS other than 1460 you need to change it to these.

I will add this some dial-up's work better with MTU = 576  MSS = 536 so you can try these too if the larger settings slow

you down.

You can't make these with Cablenut .I do mine in the registry so I can't tell you how to do it in XP registry.If you have a

program that adjusts your MTU &MSS use it.

In My Computer go to dial-up networking R.click on your connection select properties.This may be different in XP I will

give you the way I do it in ME P probably has the same

settings they may be located a little differently. GeneralConfigure on the dial-up modem you are usingmaximum speed to

115200.connectionport settingsset your FIFO Buffers to maximum.advanced error control should be checked,compressed

data should be checked,use flow control should be checked,

Then it depends on the dial-up modem you have Check hardware for an external dial-up modem or an internal with on board

controller,Check software for an internal

modem that uses the CPU for its controller(this is the majority of internal modems also called winmodems.)

For extra settings try W3;S10=50;S25=100 these depend on your specific modem but these work for several.

W3 makes the modem report DCE speed instead of DTE speed.S10=50 is a hangup delay that helps keep you connected.Try

these last sometimes the ISP won't connect with the extra settings & you have  to take them out.

Back to the General tab if the phone number you use for dial-up is in the same area code as you are

uncheck the use area code box.In the networking tab  under advanced options check enable software compression

& under allowed network protocols uncheck everything but TCP|IP unless your dial-up uses one of the others to connect.

. Open your registry (start - run - type regedit) and change the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesClassNet000X (where X is a number between 1 and 9)there is a value

named SLOWNET, change it from 01 to 00.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesVxDCOMBUFF it has a value called Start, change its value from 00 to 01.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesVxDVCACHE, it has a value named Start, change it from 00 to 01.

The last 2 are controversial whether the help or not they usually don't hurt performance & sometimes help.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lPriorityControl (if PriorityControl is not there, make the value) - on

the right hand side right click and select new DWORD value, name it IrqXPriority (X = Irq assigned to your modem),

then right click it and select modify and give it a decimal value of 1.

9. Open your sys.ini file (start - run -sysedit - ME type system.ini) close the boxes until you are at the one with the title

C:WINDOWSSYSTEM.INI,

under [386enh] add the line ComXXIrqXXbuffer=4096, XX=Com port your modem is on and Irq assigned to your modem,

it should look like Com03Irq07buffer=4096. Then select file - save and reboot to take effect.

You can check these 2 links they are for 98  or ME you may need the patch in one of them to enable windows scaling.

https://testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1772.0

https://testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1633.0

ROFLMAO @ CA3BLE  :haha:  Yeh, they're the Aussie version of the Donald Trump Towers only available to the rich & famous ants.

Yes it's pretty sad isn't it?  But I had a good chuckle today when my ISP sent me an email announcing & I Quote:  BigPond is pleased to announce that BigPond Broadband internet^ is coming to your neighbourhood.

So I gave them a call......  :haha: only available within the town area not 5km out of town & especialy not through my line  :roll:

I do have one-way satellite but it's costing me a pretty penny in excess downloads at the moment plus there have been some glitches with it, mainly noise problems.