omfg another problem

i have question.............newegg.com said that the specs for my ram would have to be as posted when i posted the specs last time (or whenever it's up there :haha: ) anyways the only difference instead of being  * Configuration: 32Meg x 64  like i posted it is 64meg x 64 on a 512.....which was what the 32 x 64 is for off of newegg.com .........but here is my question      if i get info on a 256mb stick of ram on dell is 32meg x 64 so what does that mean? which is right  :?:  wouldn't i be safe to get a 512 from newegg that has 32meg x 64?  since it says 32meg x 64 on dell for one.....but then again it says 64meg x 64 on another and they are both supposed to be for my system because i typed everything in for my pc (it's a dell dimension 4500S series) and those were the choices it brought up...

i hope that i haven't screwed with anyones head in this question but i'm tired and i really need help........not a good combination when asking for computer help :oops::haha::evil6::icon_pale:

billybob12345 Do the search at kahlon I like their search better.See what they say you should have then compare prices with newegg.Kahlon does not always have the best prices.

Did you ever get Everest to help you Identify what you already have?

http://www.kahlon.com/

i didn't get everest but i have looked at a full test on pcpitstop and also the crucial scan from http://www.crucial.com  and it said that this was the kind to get and also it says that for dell....but i will try the site you posted and we will see if it's the right kind, and i will post back soon

edit//    here is what it said.... the same as what i got but at least i know for sure almost now...... here is the results  http://www.kahlon.com/itemdetailpg.asp?itemid=87013

billybob12345 : I like the kahlon site to find memory.I am going to put a screenshot of my memory chips as shown by everest to let you see the type information it gives you on what you already have in your system.It will show the full details on all the memory chips but there was only room for 1 on the screen shot.

billybob12345: The pc2100 memory in your system is 133MHz the memory found at Kahlon is

pc2100 (266MHz) .If the memory you have in now is the original I think you will need to replace it with a 133MHz .I will look at your other topic & see what newegg suggested if its posted there

from www.kahlon.com  it says this             

RAM type - DDR DIMM

Form factor - 2.5 Volts, Proprietary Design

Storage capacity - 512 MB

Technology - DDR DIMM

Access time- PC2100 (266 MHz)

Slot(s) required- 1

Data integrity check - non-Registered, non-ECC

Performance - 100% Compatibility Guaranteed

Warranty/Service / Support - Lifetime warrant

edit the last time i can buy the ram is probly tonight also........

billybob12345 : I went to Micron Technology the company that manufactured the RAM you now have & searched the part number.I copied it & I will paste the information below.I also copied their comparible 512MB & specs on it.The had a buy button but when I tried it it just gave links to their retailers.It looks to me like the RAM you found is correct but the information I found is in even more detail so it should help you compare

4512D6C5h

Micron Tech. 8VddT1664AG-265B1

MT8VDDT1664AG-265

Overview  Part List & Data Sheets  Technical Notes 

Specifications

Density: 128MB

Pin Count: 184-pin

Version: Unbuffered

Package: DIMM

Speed: PC2100

Configuration: 16 Meg x 64

Data Rate 266 MT/s

CAS Latency: 2.5

Votage: 2.5V

Component Config: 16 Meg x 8

ECC: Non ECC

Module Ranks Single Rank

Package Type Lead Plated

Component Count: 8

Part Status: Production

MT8VDDT1664AG-265 

16 Meg x 64, 8 Components per Module 

Part Number Notes Speed Config Data Rate Latency Voltage Comp. Config ECC Module Ranks Package Type Data Sheets Sim Models Part Status 

MT8VDDT1664AG-202  PC1600 16 Meg x 64 200 MT/s 2 2.5V 16 Meg x 8 Non ECC Single Rank Lead Plated  View Production 

MT8VDDT1664AG-265  PC2100 16 Meg x 64 266 MT/s 2.5 2.5V 16 Meg x 8 Non ECC Single Rank Lead Plated Click to show/hide View Production 

512MB (Back to top)

64 Meg x 64, 8 Components per Module 

Part Number Notes Speed Config Data Rate Latency Voltage Comp. Config ECC Module Ranks Package Type Data Sheets Sim Models Part Status 

MT8VDDT6464AG-26A  PC2100 64 Meg x 64 266 MT/s 2 2.5V 64 Meg x 8 Non ECC Single Rank Lead Plated Click to show/hide  Production 

MT8VDDT6464AG-26A

Overview  Part List & Data Sheets  Technical Notes 

Specifications

Density: 512MB

Pin Count: 184-pin

Version: Unbuffered

Package: DIMM

Speed: PC2100

Configuration: 64 Meg x 64

Data Rate 266 MT/s

CAS Latency: 2

Votage: 2.5V

Component Config: 64 Meg x 8

ECC: Non ECC

Module Ranks Single Rank

Package Type Lead Plated

Component Count: 8

Part Status: Production

so i take it they are compatable or what? i dont' want to buy this then have it burn out you know what i mean?

Won't burn out....Your pc will just not POST (boot) at all.  If you buy a 266 mhz, it could be compat. with your old ram and most likely your memory will run at the 133 mhz speed not the 266.  Might want to consider replacing your old chip as well.

so what if i get 2 256 mb sticks that are pc2100 (266MHz) would that work

edit/ or would it hurt to get a 266 and have it run at 133 what would that mean? wouldn't it still run and show that i have a 128 and a 512 or what .........first time i have upgraded this pc and it sucks so far

billybob12345  & cak46 : All the PC2100 RAM I looked at said they were 266 I don't know why Everest detects it at 133MHz.The information at Micron Tech by part # even showed the old RAM stick should be 266MHz.

billybob12345 Do you have any specs on your PC that says what speed your RAM runs at?

like what....all i got is a full test at pcpitstop (doesn't show much) and my dell manual that came with the pc doesnt say........well it doesn't say anything usefull......but reccomend something that will tell about my pc and i will try it and post      but other than that not too sure

billybob12345 & cak46 : All the PC2100 RAM I looked at said they were 266 I don't know why Everest detects it at 133MHz.The information at Micron Tech by part # even showed the old RAM stick should be 266MHz.

billybob12345 Do you have any specs on your PC that says what speed your RAM runs at?

billybob12345 : I think MYRIAGON  explained the 133/266 problem.I found a couple of links at Dell .At least if you have a Dell Dimension 4500S.One is for memory sticks you can buy from Dell these match what we found at crucial,newegg & Kahlon.The other is the specs on the Dell Dimension 4500S.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?cat=all&s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&k=Dell+Dimension+4500S+

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500S/specs.htm?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=#1104273

Looks right to me CAS Latency even matches the 128MB you had in your PC.Just a sugestion since you have 2 memory slots you could probably use the 128 MB too for a total of 640MB.

I would put the new 512 in the # 1 slot so it the first RAM.

al right so i just will take out the 128 and put in in the second slot intstead of the first slot and the new 512 in the first where the 128 was?  i can do that..........hey btw when (if) you read this reply this is sorta funny...........i got a buddy who wants to build his new computer so i told him all about this site sooooooo.........he said i will go there most likely but first i have to build my motherboard and he said he is gonna build the video cards and everything even the 10/100 pci ethernet card so he can use his cable modem (or at least i think he said he was gonna build a 10/100)  :haha:  i even tried to tell him you can't build yourself a videocard or ethernet card but he said he can...... :lol::roll:

billybob12345  Thats correct the new 512 should handle the memory storage better so it should be in the # 1 slot.My PC BIOS screen shows my memory slots at boot up so I know which is the first slot.If yours does it should be easy to tell if the RAM memory you have now is in the first slot. If for some reason your PC seems to slow down(which I doubt it will) you can try it with the 128 in the first slot.

On your buddy building his own stuff .I won't say he can't do it but I doubt if he has the same clean environment they use to build computer parts.If he's that tech advanced then his time would be worth far more than he would spend buying the best cards.If he doesn't have a job paying him that much then he probably doesn't have the tech skills to build his own cards.