Why the Republican Convention doesnt have a wireless network

Swimmer

Ok as we all know the Republican Convention is going on this week... It has become a standard at these larger events to have free or pre paid access to a wireless network to provide the press with a way to submit news to their home base... However, the Republican Convention planner decided that this option was not a high priority... As David Shatzkes, a VP with Computer Horizons, the company who is providing the IT support to the Convention explained... " that the real reason they decided not to install a wireless network wasn

Why would they bitch about giving tech support?? Why don't they just have something printed with very clear instructions for these people... and also state in that printing "No tech support will be given" -- people will figure it out :-D --- if they can't... they then need to ask their grandchildren :haha:

Shug --- MEATWAD ROCKS! --- I need to get this shirt http://www.80stees.com/products/Aqua_Teen_Hunger_Force_meatwad_t-shirt.asp :lol:

Yeah.... well most of the people attending are older and dont use laptops very often..

Yea but are these people going to be able to use it no matter how much support they get? My mom couldnt use a laptop with a hotspot with Bill Gates standing next to her and pointing things out. I figure theres more to this than being told. Some one is either to lazy, to cheap, or too something. Just my opinion though,

Why would they bitch about giving tech support?? Why don't they just have something printed with very clear instructions for these people... and also state in that printing "No tech support will be given" -- people will figure it out :-D --- if they can't... they then need to ask their grandchildren :haha:

Shug --- MEATWAD ROCKS! --- I need to get this shirt http://www.80stees.com/products/Aqua_Teen_Hunger_Force_meatwad_t-shirt.asp :lol:

HELL YEAH, thats a kick ass shirt. "Just being around ya kinda makes me wanna die." LOL thats good stuff. Glad to know I have some one to talk some meat with. So Cable, ATHF or Family Guy whats your pick? THATS a hard question, they should put that on SATs. :lol:

well I reported a false story.. :cry::oops: I was surfing the net and found this article..

Like Democrats, GOP Conventioneers Fail To Lock Down Wireless

Newbury Networks' war drive found thousands of unsecured access points around Madison Square Garden, even though the GOP had declared its convention a Wi-Fi free zone.

Republicans and Democrats may hold to different ideologies, but they're pretty much the same when it comes to locking down wireless, a Boston-area firm said Thursday. As it did in late July when the Democrats held their convention in Boston, Newbury Networks, a provider of location-based wireless security solutions, conducted a "war drive" around New York's Madison Square Garden, the site of the Republican National Convention that wraps up Thursday. Newbury's casual cruise on Aug. 24 found thousands of unsecured wireless access points and adapters and hundreds of vulnerable wireless networks near the Garden.

"We found hundreds right smack on top of Madison Square Garden," said Matthew Gray, Newbury's chief technology officer and one of the technicians who did the drive. "One of the biggest differences between the Fleet Center [in Boston] and Madison Square Garden is that the latter has no physical space between it and the street. Right there on the sidewalk in front of the Garden, we found plenty of access points."

Although both the Democrats and Republicans declared their conventions Wi-Fi-free zones " the Republicans said it wasn't for security purposes but because of iffy connections in building-dense Manhattan " Gray's take is that unsecured access points present a security threat to wired networks like the one run by the Republicans inside Madison Square Garden.

"Someone has a laptop, say a delegate or a media representative, and they plug into the wired network inside the Garden," he said. "Because Microsoft and Intel have done a great job of making wireless easy to use, that laptop aggressively tries to connect to any Wi-Fi network it can. If it's connecting to a hacker's access point, which could easily be deployed near the Garden, as we did ours, that attacker could see any shared folders on the laptop. Worse, there are any number of ways to break into that laptop through various Windows vulnerabilities, and then they're on the wired network as well."

To demonstrate this, Newbury operated an unsecured an access point, a so-called "honey pot" " during its drive around the Garden and as its car was parked nearby. On average, a wireless device connected with the access point every 90 seconds.

"There are a huge number of obvious targets inside Madison Square Garden during the convention," said Gray. "But in the enterprise environment, hackers would be more likely to go after specific valuable data, such as credit-card records or proprietary information."

Newbury's executives debated whether to actually examine the connecting devices for possible shared folders, but decided not to, said Gray. "That's a bit dubious, but we talked about it... after all, they were connecting to our access point."

One of the few differences between its cruising of the Democratic and Republican conventions, said Gray, had nothing to do with the two parties, but simply their choices of venues.

"Manhattan is a lot more compact, and we found a lot more access points [near the Republican convention]," said Gray. Newbury's New York wardrive counted more than twice the number of overall access points and cards than its Boston cruise, and almost 2-1/2 times the number of devices near the Republicans' convention site compared to the Democrats'.

Both wardrives uncovered a trait shared by both cities--about two out of every three access points operate without encryption, a serious failing and an invitation to attack, said Gray.

"As the case in Boston, convention planners can't enforce these 'no Wi-Fi' policies," said Gray. "New York, in many respects, is even more vulnerable because of the level of wireless traffic around Madison Square Garden. All the security policies in the world can't stop a wireless intruder from accessing a signal emanating from a Wi-Fi access point."

Newbury did the wardrive for more than just kicks, said Gray, who pitched Newbury's WiFi Watchdog product as a way for companies to monitor outside connections, detect where those possibly rogue access points might be available to workers, and actively stop connections from being made.

Source:http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=46200817&tid=5978

Very interesting...

:roll: Unless the real reason is they didn't want to pay for and give a forum to bash their guy.......sure they believe in free speech ...as long as you agree with them. And in my opinion both parties are the same.....not a dimes worth of difference as far as I have ever been able to see. They are all wanna be PIMPS ....pandering to what they think the public wants to hear or see:) Of course I'm not bitter at all.....lol... and I'm not prejudiced ....they all sux.

8) Microwave

• 3 weeks later...