Google Earth is an awesome piece of software!

I remember using Keyhole's earth viewer, but it wasn't updated to this extent. Google bought them out and the software is unbelievable. This is the free version. The plus & pro version is also available for a fee. I've had Nasa's WorldWind installed for several months now and only used it a few times as it didn't really impress me all that much, but this offering by google surpasses what I thought it would be able to do. Keyhole was even better than Nasa's WorldWind.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, i downloaded it also, i must say its wayyy better than keyhole was, and its FREE :)

The only thing that would make it better is worldwide stuff instead of just the USA

Yeah, Keyhole was pretty tight, but this is unbelievable. I think that, as time goes on, there will be several add-ons that'll allow for universal viewing. I hope so, at least.

Thanks for the DL, but it says on startup that it cannot connect to server to activate my account  :?  Did you need to give them any information to download this?

Edit:

Nevermind, google or someone has disabled any new software installations from connecting to their servers, guess i have to wait  :angry5:

From their support site:

"Due to huge demand (even compared to my own aggressive estimates), the Google Earth free download and activations have been temporarily disabled. If you are running Google Earth on your machine, it will continue to work, but you won't be able to install it on a different machine.

If you have access to the installer and try to run it for the first time, it will tell you that "the beta is full, come back in 24 hours". Good advice. We're working on increasing capacity and throughput and want to make sure that everyone who does have it (especially the paying customers) has a good experience. Performance should be significantly better now.

If you are a paying subscriber, running Google Earth Plus/Pro should give you a significant network boost over Keyhole 2. Please give it a try as, even though it is beta software, it is quite stable."

thanks for the hookup though guys :-D

Thanks for the DL, but it says on startup that it cannot connect to server to activate my account :? Did you need to give them any information to download this?

Nope, I didn't give any info to download it, but I think I did fill in some information to get it registered. Damn, I can't remember. :(

It might work if you have a gmail account. Not sure though. Let me know if you want one.

When I used it earlier, the servers were so overloaded that it was taking awhile to render the terrain through the stream method that google uses. I guess they didn't think the program would circulate as fast as it did. This bandwidth issue should have been thought about in advance.

open worldwind, find a place and click "usgs thermal map" or something, (im not home and im on dial-up right now so i cant tell... but i think its called that) on the toolbar at the top row of things, thats how you get a good image, not all blury

open worldwind, find a place and click "usgs thermal map" or something, (im not home and im on dial-up right now so i cant tell... but i think its called that) on the toolbar at the top row of things, thats how you get a good image, not all blury

Thxz cappy. That looks alot better now. I highlighted the button that needs to be enabled in order to get clear pictures.

The pic in the post is changed also.  :D

I checked out the NASA World wind its compatable with my OS but its 180MB & theres no way I can DL it with dialup.Not that I couldn't let my PC work on it long enough but my ISP has a 5 hour limit per session.I can reconnect every 5 hours but that doesn't help with a DL that large.