ATM vs. TCP/IP

CA3LE

ATM has been commonly hailed as the answer to bandwidth-intensive networks, as it allows for simultaneous transmission of different types of data such as video and sound over the network.

TCP/IP, on the other hand, is a sequential way of transmitting data over the computer network. It chunks data into packets and send them one after the other, and thus, slowing down transmission of bandwidth-heavy data. TCP/IP was adopted as the main protocol for transmitting data over the Internet.

Despite popular notion, asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) will not be the leading technology in the future of broadband networking, a recent study said.

Instead, development will be driven by competitive factors, including the adoption of TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol)-based applications which will allow a variety of alternative approaches, said a study by Ovum, a firm of independent telecommunications and information technology analysts.

The findings come in Ovum's report, "The Future of Broadband Networking: ATM vs. TCP/IP."

:shock: As long as when I go to the ATM I can get some money out I will be happy....hehe.....

Really I read something about this in a trade mag recently and as usual the best is not always what will be used. Its been interesting over the years to watch with all technology that they fight for what the strongest player has invested money in...... remember beta-max VHS, the one that played the record, VHS-c, now DVD and on and on. I sure wish I was smart enough to say why and how this always happens......the only thing I can come up with is follow the money trail. Also when XYZ company spends millions or billions on R&D if they don't get paid we don't get new shit to play with. I only wish that I was able to LOSE several hundred million dollars in one year( I would have stashed a little) to me the bottom line is the bottom line. Even though I think we as consumers get screwed, in the end we do get the benefit of playing with this technology, and I guess if I was able to do it better I would instead of bitching about it(although thats fun to) Overall even though big business doesn't have our wellbeing in mind I think I'm still way ahead of the game, especially when I was in Slovakia a few months back it cost my friend over 2500 for a computer that was a piece of shit!!!! what else could it be with a name like SHARK....lol.... so after I think for awhile I'm able to come up with that I'm a lucky guy mostly by where I was raised in the world(U.S.) because if I lived where I was born I would have alot more to bitch about.....like being hungry and mundane subjects like that...... Sorry didn't mean to get on my soapbox!!

This is one of the reasons I have enjoyed this site so much .....the exchange of ideas and what is out there on the horizon for us. And not just one viewpoint of what it means for us, and only because CA3LE GUY has made it possible and allowed it. I for one appreciate him letting me know whats going on in the TECH world :):):)

8) Microwave

ATM has been commonly hailed as the answer to bandwidth-intensive networks, as it allows for simultaneous transmission of different types of data such as video and sound over the network.

TCP/IP, on the other hand, is a sequential way of transmitting data over the computer network. It chunks data into packets and send them one after the other, and thus, slowing down transmission of bandwidth-heavy data. TCP/IP was adopted as the main protocol for transmitting data over the Internet.

Despite popular notion, asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) will not be the leading technology in the future of broadband networking, a recent study said.

Instead, development will be driven by competitive factors, including the adoption of TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol)-based applications which will allow a variety of alternative approaches, said a study by Ovum, a firm of independent telecommunications and information technology analysts.

The findings come in Ovum's report, "The Future of Broadband Networking: ATM vs. TCP/IP."

What the hell did you just call me? I think we are gonna have to fight after that.... seriously I have no idea what you said. :lol: I like modems and internet myself. :D

I use Asynchronous Transfer Mode at my home with my local telco. About 3 months ago they went out and bought all new equipment and started offering DSL and it runs on PPPoA protocol. I have no problem with it theres no logging on or anything its just like cable, always on. So far I get what I pay for and a little extra. (pay for 1 meg, get 1.3 meg) All and all ATM rules I have had a constant connection for 3 months with no drops or anything of the nature. I feel everybody would be a lot happier with ATM as there internet protocol. 8)

this subject has brought a lot of good information to the fore front. As I have been surfing and trying to make my computer more secure and faster I have been playing with different browsers and have found out that different browesers bring different download speeds and quite substantial speeds. I've always known that speeds change with the load of data on the pipeline but I am amazed with this difference, thanks again for all the helpful information keep up the good work :D