Cannot connect to internet!!!

nickg

Cannot connect to the internet!!!

have Verizon DSL and am using a Westell 327 VersaLink. my son's computer is running a ethernet cable from the Westell to his computer.

everything has been working fine until yesterday. now his system will not log onto the internet. neither firefox nor IE will connect.

everytime we try we get a

"The connection was refused while attempting to contact www.example.com" type error message.

the network/LAN connections setting is fine as it is connected. i tried pinging some sites and it seems like it pinged ok. other protocol settings seem ok too.

ran all virus and spyware programs and nothing was amiss there. even did a system restore to a few days earlier with no luck.

i'm just stumped as i can connect no problem but his system can't.

any suggestions?

THANKS!

Edit:Changed url in message to www.example.com, just incase that site comes back up.

Cannot connect to the internet!!!

have Verizon DSL and am using a Westell 327 VersaLink. my son's computer is running a ethernet cable from the Westell to his computer.

everything has been working fine until yesterday. now his system will not log onto the internet. neither firefox nor IE will connect.

everytime we try we get a

"The connection was refused while attempting to contact www.example.com" type error message.

the network/LAN connections setting is fine as it is connected. i tried pinging some sites and it seems like it pinged ok. other protocol settings seem ok too.

ran all virus and spyware programs and nothing was amiss there. even did a system restore to a few days earlier with no luck.

i'm just stumped as i can connect no problem but his system can't.

any suggestions?

THANKS!

Edit:Changed url in message to www.example.com, just incase that site comes back up.

hey nickg.

FallowEarth -- i pretty much did all the things that you listed here, even more than once. and as far as powering down the modem, as i mentioned, i am able to connect when up and running no problem so i don't know how powering down would help, unless i am missing something here. but i have nothing to lose by resetting it just to see what happens. i'll try that.

i even tried switching ethernet cables to make sure it wasn't a cable problem, which there isn't. and i even switched the imput channel to the modem from E2 to E4 for his system with no luck.

FallowEarth -- i pretty much did all the things that you listed here, even more than once. and as far as powering down the modem, as i mentioned, i am able to connect when up and running no problem so i don't know how powering down would help, unless i am missing something here. but i have nothing to lose by resetting it just to see what happens. i'll try that.

i even tried switching ethernet cables to make sure it wasn't a cable problem, which there isn't. and i even switched the imput channel to the modem from E2 to E4 for his system with no luck.

If you are able to get a valid IP address and can ping some sites (try by URL and by IP address), then the connection is fine, it's a browsing issue.