Does FIOS actually work ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

RICKC

I am new to this forum. Would just like to find out if anyone else is having the same experience with Verizon that I am.

I had FIOS installed on May 31, 2005. It still does not work correctly. I have an unbelieveable echo in my phone line. This occurs on nearly every call.

I loose my dial tone every night for approximately 1.5 hours.

Needless to say I have spent countless hours on the phone with verizon. I have heard that I need padding put on my line. Finally I got the padding and it did nothing to help the echo.

The pons card has been checked by verizon. All software including the program in my ONT and all cross connects between Verizon's central office and my house have been rebuilt. The ONT has already been replaced once and is headed for replacement a second time. This should occur Tuesday 7/5/2005. When the Verizon techs come to my house they hear the echo and can't figure it out.

The other night (July 3rd) I called Verizon on my Nextel cellphone to tell them my dial tone and computer service had gone out. They said they could not guarantee a return of service before July 5th. I figured I could get by without the phone but what about the computer service. The reply left me speechless. I was told I could still always connect using my modem. I then asked now I could do that without a dial tone. I am still awaiting an answer to that one.

Welcome to the forum RICKC

Just be patient, FiOS is still a fairly new deal for Verizon(although fiber internet has been around for a while). So sometimes not everything goes according to plan. Give them time, im sure eventually that everything will be okie-dokie. And if I may ask, what package are you on?

Thanks for the suggestion. The second ONT when it was put in was brand new and was never used. That ONT has since been reset in excess of 60 times to no avail.

I am sending this message now after just getting my service back at 12.10 PM.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ???

I will try anything at this point.

Just a thought.....

I had DSL at one point, and I had filters on all the other phone jacks in the house.

Does FIOS need those? , if not have you removed all of them from the other jacks in the house?

I really don't know much at all about FIOS so this may not help you, but good luck, hope you find the problem.

FiOS is not DSL so I doubt it'll need filters.

Well, if the VoIP VoiceWing service provided by Verizon has a package for the DSL package or with the FiOS package, I'm pretty sure that it'll work with it.

FiOS does work, it's the fastest service for a standard cable or DSL service price.

The pings aren't too shabby either, reports of perfect 1 ms pings are going around! =D

CURSE YOU FIOS USERS!!!

I'm stuck with DSL 1.5 386 plan. (sobs)

:D

I think I finally may have gotten somewhere. It took 2 techs all day standing on the side of my house to realize that the signal level was going up and down due to a bad port somewhere in their system. Port was finally marked as defective. I was switched to another port and I finally after six weeks have a steady dial tone. I am still working on the echo issue. Funny thing is that may have been solved by the port switch also. TIME WILL TELL. If anyone else is having problems like this please feel free to email me at <snip>. I would be happy to send a list of Verizon contacts that actually know what they are doing.

edit: for member privacy

Thanks for the info about the filters. I never had DSL so I don't have any filters. According to Verizon my phones are compatible. They seem to think the echo is coming from a T1 line they use to send calls between local Company Offices in my area.  It is very strange as the echo only happens on local calls. So far they have narrowed it down to definitely being on their side of the connection. At least I have a dial tone all the time now.

I never thought I would come to this conclusion. Verizon is actually hanging a new copper drop line to my house. After the dial tone started to turn on and off again they finally gave up and admitted they cannot find the problem in my line. So for now I will have a fios line for my computer and a copper line for my phone. Maybe some day the fios will be perfected but unfortunately it is not yet.

After dealing with Verizon for at least six weeks I know one thing: Either Verizon changes the way it handles things or someday we will all be making calls through the cable company.

Wow, it's interesting they could not reproduce the problem and come up with a solution.  I guess some local manager threw in the towel.  I wonder if this incident got escalated to the design engineers.  If there is a defect in their design, it will happen again.  I can't believe the issue at your location is location specific.

""Wow, it's interesting they could not reproduce the problem and come up with a solution.""

Keep in mind, they had no problem reproducing the problem. It was the solution that was stumping them.

Verizon has already re hung a new copper drop for my house here in Eastchester New York and finally I am back to normal.

:D NO MORE ECHO. AND DIAL TONE STAYS ON :D

Computer is still being fed by FIOS. I really hope Verizon figures it all out with time. If it ever works correctly I would convert to just FIOS.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I'm slightly lost here :-)  First, glad to hear your phones are back to normal, even if it isn't the best/most elegant solution.  Here's what I'm a little confused on:

Verizon hung a new copper drop to your house for your phone to solve the echo and intermittent dial tone that was happening while the phone was running through your ONT.

Got it, makes sense.

Your computer is still running through FIOS, does it still lose connection or has taking the phone out of the equation fixed that?

I wish your FIOS experience had been better, I want to make up shirts that say "I <heart> My FIOS" because I have no idea how I ever surfed the net/played games without it!  I hope everything is solved soon, we all have our little FIOS battle scars/war stories though, mine was them breaking my water line while laying the larger fiber optic line :)  Think of what a great story this whole ordeal would make!

I thank you for your reply. I was sorry to hear about your water line. I would normally ask how they managed to break the water line. But after meeting a lot of people from Verizon I now know that anything is possible for them.

To answer your question: putting my phone on copper did not solve the data line problems. Verizon after 10 weeks finally found a "cracked mirror " in one of their distribution boxes. I am actually still waiting to get up and running. I originally had the service installed on May 31, 2005.Yes it has been over 10 weeks.

• 6 months later...

I know this is a really really old topic, and this is my first time posting here, but I thought I would share my solution to the problem with everyone.

I just got Verizon FIOS two days ago (15down/2up) and had a terrible echoing in my phones.  It was obvious it had something to do with the cordless phone in my home because my corded one was ok.  I decided not to rely on Verizon tech support based on this occurance and decided to test a theory of mine.  I decided to unplug the router and see if the echoing continued.  To my amazement, it stopped.  Luckily for me I just switched from Comcast cable, which didn't provide routers, and decided to plug in my old reliable Netgear WGR614v5 and give it a go.  Wow was I in for a shock.  The interference didn't exist, coincidence, I think not.  Well it turns out Verizon has no explanation for why a Netgear router would not cause the same echoing in my 5.8GHZ AT&T cordless phone, but for some reason it just works.

I hope anyone realizing this doesn't think that just because Verizon gives them a piece of crap, interference causing D-Link router that they have to stick with it at all.  I talked to Verizon and there response was, "if it works great" and I asked them what to do with the other router and they said "do whatever you want with it, it is yours".  So if anyone is having any problems, just go out and buy a Linksys or Netgear router and use a brand that actually works.

• 2 months later...

I also have called Verizon with a similar echo and very loud sound.  This true with regular verizon phone service and my recent voicewing.  VerizonFios tech support determined that my phones are not compatible.  I need to get a phone with voice enhancer and disable it.  I will try this and if it works, I will report back. 

I borrowed a voice enhanced 5.8 GHz cordless phone from work and the echo was better but did not disappear.  I have to try the recommendation of changing the router from the D-Link to a Linksys.  I will try that and hopefully that will work.  If not, than I am at a loss and will have to speak to Fios tech support again.

• 2 years later...